Variable (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:50
LOL We are interleaving replies like a Ronnie Barker sketch.
I definitly think a function is called for, however I am not sure what the rules for cleaning up are. If they cannot be defined it is unlikely that you can do this programmatically.

Brian

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:50
I didn't even have a true false in there (at least I didn't mean to).

As I pointed out in my earlier Post #11, Brianwarnock is only pointing out the fact that ISERROR() returns a value of 1 if an error occurred and a value of 0 if no error occurred. This is what the IF() is testing for.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
LOL We are interleaving replies like a Ronnie Barker sketch.
I definitly think a function is called for, however I am not sure what the rules for cleaning up are. If they cannot be defined it is unlikely that you can do this programmatically.

Brian

I noticed that we have been crossing over as well. At least (for the most part) we seem to agree, so the OP can use the basic ideas and go from there. Not having VBA as an option, might make this a little more difficult.

Not too sure who Ronnie Barker is, but I do feel like I am in the middle of a sketch out of a show titled "A bit of Fry and Laurie", or perhaps from "Jeeves and Wooster"?

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
As I pointed out in my earlier Post #11, Brianwarnock is only pointing out the fact that ISERROR() returns a value of 1 if an error occurred and a value of 0 if no error occurred. This is what the IF() is testing for.

It actually returns TRUE and FALSE if just used in a cell, which I assumed was -1 and 0, however you have to test for TRUE and FALSE not numeric values. Not that any of this matters to the IF.

Brian

Realised I have confused Access and Excel yes it would be 1 and 0 not -1 and 0, if you could test for that.
Apologies to MSAccessRookie

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Ronnie Barker was a British comedian who had a gift with words, he wrote a lot of his own material and one sketch was where questions were asked but the reply was to the previous question, obviously arranged to create funny answers.

Yes we agree on the probable approach tho I will give some thought over dinner to the possible use of lookups, but can't see it.

Brian

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes we agree on the probable approach tho I will give some thought over dinner to the possible use of lookups, but can't see it.
Good thing your wife can't see your thoughts unless she won't be pleased :) lol

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
It could be worse!!

I decided that without some idea as to what we are doing, how the parsing requirements are defined any attempt to solve this are pointless.

Brian

chergh

blah
Local time
The examples provided would be fixed by identifying the first repeated word in the string and removing the string there after.

I've been in this situation before where a manager asked me to write some code similar to what you want to do. My response was to tell him to go and fix what was producing it in the first place.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Chergh it would appear that it is the prior bit that is removed, however post#1 hinted at something else, also is it a repeated word or string, so clarification is needed.

Brian

Wet_Blanket

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for all the help. I reached the conclusion that it was nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom