RemoveAccents (1 Viewer)

Wysy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:10
Hi,
I have a table that consist some special accent character like letter ő.
This can be entered into table and shows up correctiy in forms. For some pdf savings i wanted to have accentless characters for file name so i found and use a function for this

Public Function RemoveAccents(ByVal inputString As String) As String
Const accentString As String = "ÁáÉéÓóÖöŐőÚúŰű"
Const nonAccentStr As String = "AaEeOoOoOoUuUu"
Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To Len(accentString)
inputString = Replace(inputString, Mid(accentString, i, 1), _
Mid(nonAccentStr, i, 1), , , vbBinaryCompare)
Next i

RemoveAccents = inputString

End Function
This works perfectly except with character ő. If data is taken from form control it fails however if i use RemoveAccents("ő") it works.
Why? It seems Access automatically changes something despite it shows up correctly in table/form. Interestingly Dlookup function also fails if character ő is used in the where condition.
Thank you

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:10
I have a client who has the same requirement. I created a table

Target..Alias..AsciiTarget
Á...……..A...….193
á...……..a...…..225
É...……..E...…..201
etc

then my equivalent of your removeAccents function which runs through the recordset to do the replace

Code:
while not .eof
  mystr=replace(mystr,!Target,!Alias)
  .movenext
wend
point is my table contains the ő char and does not cause a problem

I include AsciiTarget because I also have to handle non printing chars and it is a way of 'seeing' the chars. It is also the primary key since (I seem to recall, it was a while ago when I put it together) that that index wouldn't work on the target field

Wysy

Registered User.
Local time
i have found a solution. I created a query that simply converts accented characters into non-accented ones using one nested replace statment like:
AccentLess: Replace(Replace(Replace([tbFEDJ].[BS_Name],"ő","o"),"ö","o"),"á","a")
Then in VBA using DLookUp i refer to this query to get the non-accented character for filename. It works.
Thanks

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
only problem with both your solutions is it is hard coded - what if another character requires replacing - You'll need to modify your code.

But if it meets your requirements then hard coding is fine

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You might find using the Switch function easier than using several nested Replace expressions

Wysy

Registered User.
Local time
actually only the character ő and ű caused the problem for the RemoveAccents function all others works fine. Interestingly my solution caused another problem: if Ő was a capital as first letter it was lower case afterward. I solved it now by using StrConv i think this works fine now.
Thank!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom