error message (1 Viewer)

bigmac

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:14
hi all can you help please, i have a hyperlink field on my form and when i drag a pdf link to it i keep getting this message "the field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add, try inserting or pasting less data. but the strange thing is that if i click on another field the link appear's on the hyperlink field and works , how do i stop the error message please :banghead:

James Dickinson

PigeonPie
Local time
Today, 13:14
I can't speak to the actual issue but this should get you past the error.
Paste this into your forms code

Code:
Private Sub Form_Error(DataErr As Integer, Response As Integer)

Response = acDataErrContinue

end sub

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 00:14
No point ignoring the error, as Access is not going to do what the O/P wants?

Perhaps it is trying to past the file into the control and not the link?

Try copying and pasting instead. I've never dragged anything on to a form yet, except another form in design view.

What is the size of the field as well? Too short, and the url will not fit?

bigmac

Registered User.
Local time
hello James Dickinson/Gasman, thank you for your response, but none seem to work . the field i am trying to put the hyperlink is an hyperlink field so it should work, (the link works after the error message goes and works ever time i click on it ) the database has a lot of files in it (around 8 thousand and growing ) it is a front end back end database, what if i change the hyperlink field to an attachment? would this effect the size of the front end or the back end to be bigger than allowed?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:14
@bigmac,

Have you considered just using a text field rather than hyperlink type?
Then use the Application.FollowHyperlink "yourtextfield here" or more specifically

Application.FollowHyperlink "pdffilecoordinates"

see this thread for related info

Last edited:

bigmac

Registered User.
Local time
think i have solved this, i have made a carbon copy of the hyperlink field and copied this onto my form, now i get no error messages, i dont know what was wrong with other one but this one looks ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom