How to pass value of an unbound field in a new record to a table for emailing (1 Viewer)

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:30
Hello,

I'm trying to send an email based on a new form record that uses 3 unbound text boxes for it's data.

i have tried to send the email based upon the text box directly but the data is always blank, i'm assuming because the record is not updated yet. I figured i would need to use an append query and send this data to a separate table and then call the table into the email?

Am i on the right track here. If so how do i reference the unbound controls on the form into a blank query?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:30
You don't need to save the value - you can refer to it directly in the query and in the query designer it will even assist you with the syntax in later access versions.

In the criteria section type something like

[Forms]![YourFormName]![YourControlName]

And it should work.

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
What would i use for the field name?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:30
What field name? I assumed you where running a separate query based on the form.

If not post up the code you tried to use to send the email from the unbound form - there is no reason that shouldn't work.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Yesterday, 23:30
Hello,

I'm trying to send an email based on a new form record that uses 3 unbound text boxes for it's data.

OK, lets start with the real issue, how are you trying to send an Email?

If a field is not bound it is not coming from or going to a table. This implies you are trying to send an Email some how and are having a problem.

Please post the code for sending the Email so we can help narrow down what is not working. If you get error message, please specify what message and where you get it.

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
Private Sub Command68_Click()

Refresh

Dim Response As Integer
    Response = MsgBox("Would you like to notify the MOC Initator of this response?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Client Prompt")
If Response = vbYes Then

Refresh

Dim strEmailAddress
Dim StrSQL

StrSQL = "SELECT * FROM qryMOC"

strEmailAddress = Me.txtEmailResponse
'StrSubject = "A new production MOC has been created me.MOCNum"
strSubject = "Response to MOC# " & Me.MOCNum
StrEmail = "User Response: " & Me.txtDepartmentChoice & vbNewLine _
             & "" & vbNewLine _
             & "Comments: " & Me.UserComment & vbNewLine _

DoCmd.SendObject , , acFormatRTF, strEmailAddress, _
, , strSubject, StrEmail, False, False

MsgBox "Thank you. Your response has been submitted successfully."

DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmMOCReviewForm", acSaveYes

Else

DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmMOCReviewForm", acSaveYes

End If

End Sub

Me.MOCNum, Me.txtDepartmentchoice and Me.UserComment are unbound fields in my form. They pull a value/text from different multiple combo boxes in my form and display them as text depending on what combo has been selected.

Mark_

Local time
If the value is not the first column in each of your comboboxes record sources, you would use Me.YourComboBoxNameHere.Column(n) where n is the column you are looking for starting with 0.

I would also put a break or a msgbox prior to calling your DoCmd.SendObject to see what exactly you are filling in. You may find out your looking for the wrong problem.

As to saving these values, as you are not using a separate recordset to fill in your Email that would not affect your current issue.

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Regarding your previous message. There are no errors, the only problem i have is when entering the data into the form and then clicking and submitting the email, when the email is received the data i asked for in the VBA is not there. If i close the form and reopen the form and send the email again it will be there.

Also on the unbound text box, their results can vary depending on who is viewing the form.

Code:
Private Sub Form_Load()

If DLookup("[Department]", "[tblUsers]", "[UserTag]='" & Me.txtUser & "'") = 1 Then
Me.RDReview.Enabled = True
Else
Me.RDReview.Enabled = False
End If

If DLookup("[Department]", "[tblUsers]", "[UserTag]='" & Me.txtUser & "'") = 2 Then
Me.MaintenanceReview.Enabled = True

Else
Me.MaintenanceReview.Enabled = False
End If

If DLookup("[Department]", "[tblUsers]", "[UserTag]='" & Me.txtUser & "'") = 3 Then
Me.ProductionReview.Enabled = True
Else
Me.ProductionReview.Enabled = False
End If

If DLookup("[Department]", "[tblUsers]", "[UserTag]='" & Me.txtUser & "'") = 4 Then
Me.SafetyReview.Enabled = True
Else
Me.SafetyReview.Enabled = False
End If

If DLookup("[Department]", "[tblUsers]", "[UserTag]='" & Me.txtUser & "'") = 5 Then
Me.SiteManagerReview.Enabled = True
Else
Me.SiteManagerReview.Enabled = False
End If

If DLookup("[Department]", "[tblUsers]", "[UserTag]='" & Me.txtUser & "'") = 1 Then
Me!txtDepartmentChoice = Me!RDReview.Column(1)
End If

If DLookup("[Department]", "[tblUsers]", "[UserTag]='" & Me.txtUser & "'") = 2 Then
Me!txtDepartmentChoice = Me!MaintenanceReview.Column(1)
End If

If DLookup("[Department]", "[tblUsers]", "[UserTag]='" & Me.txtUser & "'") = 3 Then
Me!txtDepartmentChoice = Me!ProductionReview.Column(1)
End If

If DLookup("[Department]", "[tblUsers]", "[UserTag]='" & Me.txtUser & "'") = 4 Then
Me!txtDepartmentChoice = Me!SafetyReview.Column(1)
End If

If DLookup("[Department]", "[tblUsers]", "[UserTag]='" & Me.txtUser & "'") = 5 Then
Me!txtDepartmentChoice = Me!SiteManagerReview.Column(1)
End If

Me!UserComment = Me!RDReasoning
End If

Me!UserComment = Me!MaintenanceReasoning
End If

Me!UserComment = Me!ProductionReasoning
End If

Me!UserComment = Me!SafetyReasoning
End If

Me!UserComment = Me!SiteManagerReasoning
End If

Mark_

Local time
To be clear, prior to sending the Email you've verified that StrEmail contains what you want but it doesn't appear in the body of the Email, but if you exit and come back it does?

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Just to give you a run down from the start including an answer to your question.

User 1 creates new record in formnewrecord. User 1 closes form.

User 2 opens continuous form and selects the record above to open formReview

User 2 selects and answer in combobox and leaves a comment in text box.

User 2 submits email and closes formReview and user 1 receives email. Email reads

User Response:
Comments:

User 2 reopens formreview from continuous form and submits email again and closes form review.

User 1 receives email. Email reads,

User Response: Here is the selection from combo box
Comments: Here is the comment made in the text box.

I have check VBA on the first time it's opened and the second time but strEmail will not show me anything.

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Well i ended up getting it by using a Dlookup on the table values.

Code:
Private Sub Command68_Click()

Refresh

Dim StrResponse
Dim StrComment
Dim Response As Integer
    Response = MsgBox("Would you like to notify the MOC Initator of this response?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Client Prompt")
If Response = vbYes Then

End If

StrResponse = Me.RDReview.Column(1)
StrComment = Me.RDReasoning
End If

StrResponse = Me.MaintenanceReview.Column(1)
StrComment = Me.MaintenanceReasoning
End If

StrResponse = Me.ProductionReview.Column(1)
StrComment = Me.ProductionReasoning
End If

StrResponse = Me.SafetyReview.Column(1)
StrComment = Me.SafetyReasoning
End If

StrResponse = Me.SiteManagerReview.Column(1)
StrComment = Me.SiteManagerReasoning
End If

Refresh

Dim strEmailAddress
Dim StrSQL

StrSQL = "SELECT * FROM qryMOC"

strEmailAddress = Me.txtEmailResponse
'StrSubject = "A new production MOC has been created me.MOCNum"
strSubject = "Response to MOC# " & Me.MOCNum
StrEmail = "User Response: " & StrResponse & vbNewLine _
             & "" & vbNewLine _
             & "Comments: " & StrComment & vbNewLine _