Mail Merge Help (1 Viewer)

outofpractice

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:03
I'll do my best to explain what I am wanting to do here with a mail merge (Word 2007). I have data in an excel file which looks like:

Group A Group B Name Y/N
12345 1234A John Smith N
12345 1234B John Smith Y
98765 9876A Suzie Q N
98765 9876B Suzie Q N
98765 9876C Suzie Q Y

I would like to run a mail merge that will create a letter that does the following:

-------------------------
Dear [Name] ,

You have the following information:

[Group B] [Y/N]

From,

Me
---------------------------
So once the letter is set up,I want the merge to be able to look at the Group A value, and anytime Group A value matches - it will list all of the corresponding Group B and Y/N fields resulting in a letter for Group A of 12345 that looks like:

Dear John Smith ,

1234A N
1234B Y

From,

Me
---------------------

Is there a way to do what is described above or will I need to break out each like set of data into their own excel files? I am working with thousands of lines of data and need to send one letter to each person, but their letter should contain information for all groups that pertain to them which potentially can be dozens. Thanks for any assistance!

godsspeed

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:03
Funny Story: I created something similar for my HR department for the Onboarding of new associates... then found out that we are changing our (brand new) Onboarding process. (bye=bye days (if not weeks) of time I'll never get back! hahaha on the bright side, I did learn things about Excel through this little project that I never knew...so i dont have any hard feelings)

good news: My pain may be your gain!

Open Word and start typing out your 'letter' as you want it to appear.

"Dear ,

From,

You"

Then goto the Mailing Ribbon --> Start Mail Merge --> Letters. Then, click on "Select Recipients" --> "Use Existing List"
Once the dialog box pops up, navigate to whereever you saved your spreadsheet. Select the Spreadsheet then select the worksheet that contains the information you want.

Now its time to complete the letter you just typed by inserting the Fields.
First go to your first line "Dear ," put your cursor in front of the comma. goto "INSERT MERGE FIELD" and select the Name field (the fields you can select from will automatically have the same titles that you gave them on on your spreadsheet. I said Name field because that is what you 'titled' it in your example). It should look like "Dear <<Name>>,"
complete the rest of the letter by inserting the MERGE FIELDS where you want them.
Something like:

"Dear <<Name>>,

<<Group B>> <<Y/N>>

From,
You"

To test it out, click on PREVIEW RESULTS and use the record navigation buttons on the far right end of the MAILINGS ribbon to see the letters individually.

TA-DAAAAAAH!!! :)

HINT: how you can insert the fields and how they show up will depend greatly on how they are setup in the spreadsheet. So if your Name column in the spreadsheet has their first and last name and you only want their first, you may need to create a first name and last name column in your spreadsheet.

Hope this helps!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom