Anyone willing to tutor one on one? (1 Viewer)

RhiannonM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:51
Admins please delete if this not allowed

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me one on one with a recipe database.

My background is...I created one back in 2002 and I was knowledgeable in Access and some Visual Basic at the time...recently I've had medical problems that have caused me some diminished capacity and my brain is struggling with sometimes very basic things (like saying the correct word or even forgetting the word entirely...I'm only 43 by the way)

In order to help repair some of the damage, I want to recreate the old database and improve it with better functionality. I have what I want to achieve set down on paper...but it's time to start building. Unfortunately my attention span is also diminished...meaning...if i have to read more than a couple of paragraphs of explanation...my brain runs off chasing squirrels and the words turn into a foreign language (is it still OK to say "it's all Greek to me" or is that politically incorrect?)

I also doubt myself and need to double check I understand things correctly so will often ask a lot of "is this right?" or "does this mean this?" questions. In contrast I now tend to jump ahead of myself and will try to run before I can walk...knowing this I also feel I need to prepare for every possible scenario and end up achieving nothing because I'm back in the design process making sure I think of everything I might possibly need to do before I even create a table.

By now most of you will probably have decided "nope this chick is just going to annoy the s**t out of me and it'll do my head in"...I get that...and yes I probably will...but if there is just one person in this forum of over 110,000 people that has the patience and humour to stick it out with me...you will not only be helping me achieve a project that's been in the making for over 20 years...but you'll also be helping me heal and recover a sense of who I was (and hopefully still am).

In summary...all I want is one person (or a very small group of people) I can turn to who is/are willing to explain (in simple terms) what I need to do (preferably with examples) to help me achieve my goals.

Thank you for taking the time to read this...if you want to ask me questions before making a decision that's fine...go right ahead...

Cheers
RhiannonM

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:51
Hi. I am sure we can come into an agreement. Please email me to discuss it further. Thanks.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 02:51
I would be interested. Please PM me as well. Keep in mind DBguy and I are on the other side of the world, so you may not get an immediate response depending on when you post. When you are awake we may be asleep and vice versa.

However, you should be able to simply just start a thread here. Normally the way it works is that one or more of the regulars will take interest in a thread and stick with it. These threads can get very long. Then use Private Messages as needed.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
RhiannonM,
Everyone here will be happy to help by answering questions in the forum but for the kind of personal service you requested, I'm pretty sure there would be a charge. I've done this kind of tutoring for people but their employer always paid. I use GoToMeeting so we can screen share and if you have a headset, it is possible to use the voice part of GTM without having to use the telephone. In the US, most people have all distance service so it doesn't cost them anything to use the GTM phone service. If there are local Australia numbers, then phone would work for you also but probably not if you have to call a US number.

I'm going on vacation for a while so couldn't start any time soon. I'd strongly recommend trying to use the forum so you won't have to pay since this sounds like a personal project.

RhiannonM

Registered User.
Local time
I have misused the word "tutor"...I'm not asking for lessons or sessions...it'll be a question here and there via email just to confirm whether I understand something or providing a simple example to help me understand...I have some idea of what I am doing and what I want to achieve but using the forums can get seriously overwhelming as too many people contribute different answers and often contradict each other and I don't know who's advice to take...also sometimes I can't remember the correct term to actually search for.

I'm not asking for anything more than what is provided on the forums except I'd just like to talk to ONE person...if they need to search forums for answers then ok but at least they would know the correct wording to search...and they could decipher what the heck you're all saying.

Also, given I'm in a different time zone to most of you, any "live chats" will be inconvenient.

Lastly, I really need the person who helps to not assume anything of me or what I mean. Because of my issues sometimes I use the wrong words and suddenly people are interpreting things I say incorrectly. I've noticed in the forums that a lot of "debates" occur when posters trying to help assume one thing but the OP meant another and has to clarify...this actually causes me a lot of anxiety and I want to avoid it as much as possible...as I've said previously this is only a recent thing and I'm still trying to process what's happening to me. It is not a reflection on anyone in here - it is just how my brain reacts to certain things that I don't know how to deal with yet.

I hope this clears up any miscommunication...I may yet have said the wrong thing again but I've now read this reply 15 times and I think I got it right...(that's what I'm dealing with)

Thank you for taking the time once again
Cheers
RhiannonM

RhiannonM

Registered User.
Local time
MajP

I'm unable to reply to your message it says I need more posts...but I have read it and I'm also very interested in what you had to say. Is there another way I can contact you?

Cheers
RhiannonM

RhiannonM

Registered User.
Local time
My post about Primary Keys...Autonumber or Field Name? is a perfect example of why I feel I can't use this forum as has been suggested.

3 pages of various users arguing/debating about who's right or wrong...nitpicking on what has or hasn't been said...and anything longer than a simple paragraph I can't process...this kind of help sends me into an anxiety attack...it may as well be in hieroglyphics...my brain can't cope

I need short concise answers and I need to feel confident in your answer

Cheers
RhiannonM

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
this kind of help sends me into an anxiety attack...it may as well be in hieroglyphics...my brain can't cope
RhiannonM
My apologies if I contributed to your discomfort in any way. Topics tend to go off the rails sometimes but it's the nature of a forum. IMHO, they are not well suited for teaching on a broad basis.

Hope you find the help you seek.

RhiannonM

Registered User.
Local time
Micron

There's no need to apologise...I wasn't meaning it as an attack or criticism on anyone who posted...merely as an example of what can cause my brain to stop processing information properly...and my reasoning for wanting to deal with just one person.

No one has caused me discomfort...my inability to accept that my brain isn't working properly has caused me the discomfort and I need to learn to deal with that.

I apologise if my words came across as criticising.

Cheers
RhiannonM

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Micron
I apologise if my words came across as criticising.
Not at all. While I cannot say I have ever been in your shoes, I have done adult education at local college and some students had limitations. I can empathize if nothing else, which is all that was.
Good luck with your quest.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:51
Sometimes in our enthusiasm, we offer different viewpoints on things. I tend to go strongly towards "pedantic" which is just the way I am, but I certainly didn't want to discourage you. I got this way by being an instructor at various levels during various parts of my career. Never was actually a college professor (though I'm qualified) but I've taught a lot of classes for private industry and federal government service. Sometimes "pedantic" is required and it is hard for me to remember to let it go. Old habits and all that...

RhiannonM

Registered User.
Local time
Please...i don't want anyone to feel they need to explain themselves...i didn't mean to criticise...the issue is with me not others...i was merely trying to give people an understanding of what I'm up against...how easily I become overwhelmed and confused

lioninwinter

Local time
Today, 08:51
Admins please delete if this not allowed

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me one on one with a recipe database.

My background is...I created one back in 2002 and I was knowledgeable in Access and some Visual Basic at the time...recently I've had medical problems that have caused me some diminished capacity and my brain is struggling with sometimes very basic things (like saying the correct word or even forgetting the word entirely...I'm only 43 by the way)

In order to help repair some of the damage, I want to recreate the old database and improve it with better functionality. I have what I want to achieve set down on paper...but it's time to start building. Unfortunately my attention span is also diminished...meaning...if i have to read more than a couple of paragraphs of explanation...my brain runs off chasing squirrels and the words turn into a foreign language (is it still OK to say "it's all Greek to me" or is that politically incorrect?)

I also doubt myself and need to double check I understand things correctly so will often ask a lot of "is this right?" or "does this mean this?" questions. In contrast I now tend to jump ahead of myself and will try to run before I can walk...knowing this I also feel I need to prepare for every possible scenario and end up achieving nothing because I'm back in the design process making sure I think of everything I might possibly need to do before I even create a table.

By now most of you will probably have decided "nope this chick is just going to annoy the s**t out of me and it'll do my head in"...I get that...and yes I probably will...but if there is just one person in this forum of over 110,000 people that has the patience and humour to stick it out with me...you will not only be helping me achieve a project that's been in the making for over 20 years...but you'll also be helping me heal and recover a sense of who I was (and hopefully still am).

In summary...all I want is one person (or a very small group of people) I can turn to who is/are willing to explain (in simple terms) what I need to do (preferably with examples) to help me achieve my goals.

Thank you for taking the time to read this...if you want to ask me questions before making a decision that's fine...go right ahead...

Cheers
RhiannonM
I love this post and the fact you were gutsy enough to post it and ask for people to help. I have to say from my perspective your language seems not just fine but actually very elegant - I'd love to be able to write like you. I hope others with better Access skills than I were able to help and that you will keep the community posted on your inspiring story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom