Combo box that doesn't display values already used (1 Viewer)

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:49
My brain is fried and I'm drawing a blank.

I have a single form that has a subform, which is continuous. I want a combo box, (on the continuous form), query's all of the values from a table/query. After the user selects the value, like maybe "Boots", I want the AutoNumber for "Boots" stored in the underlying table for the continuous form along with the Parent forms autonumber. When the user clicks on the combo box again, I DON'T want "Boots" to show up again, because it has already been used. When the user moves to another record on the parent form, the Link Master/Link Child keeps the continuous form in sync with the parent.

I've drawn a blank on making sure that "Boots" in my question doesn't show up again for that "Parent".

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 16:49
Combobox RowSource has to be a 'find unmatched' query that joins the data table with the lookup table. And also combobox needs to be 'conditional' based on the 'Parent' ID. This is a 'cascading' combobox. Code has to requery the combobox after record committed.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:49
Hi. Unfortunately, one side effect of "hiding/eliminating" already chosen items from the combo dropdown is if you go back to all the previous records in the subform, you could potentially see the combobox as "empty" even though there is data in the table. The reason being is because the data in the table is excluded from the combo's row source at this point.

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:49
Thank you all for replying. I downloaded the database that MajP offered and while the code was relatively short, it's not trivial. After spending time "translating" it to my project, I was able to get it to work. Thank you all!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you all for replying. I downloaded the database that MajP offered and while the code was relatively short, it's not trivial. After spending time "translating" it to my project, I was able to get it to work. Thank you all!
Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it to work. Good luck with your project.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:49
The code provided by CJ_London works very well in datasheet view. In continuous form view it can be OK but a little quirky and things may momentarily disappear. The "fake" combo box underneath a textbox works better in continuous form view.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:49
An alternative approach is to have a pop-up form, triggered when the combo box is pressed. Code in the pop-up, to restrict the options it shows depending on which row it's called from.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
An alternative approach is to have a pop-up form, triggered when the combo box is pressed. Code in the pop-up, to restrict the options it shows depending on which row it's called from.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
And the one I tend to prefer is to "flag" (with an asterisk or something) the invalid options and sort them to the bottom of the list. Then, add a validation check in the BeforeUpdate event of the combo to not allow the user from selecting the invalid items. To each his/her own... Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom