Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old 08-17-2017, 05:51 AM   #16
plog
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,884 Posts
plog has a spectacular aura about plog has a spectacular aura about plog has a spectacular aura about
Re: Rad Second Access Project to CRUSH!

Disagree.

Forms that allow data changes (add/edit/delete) should be based on tables, not queries. 1 form, 1 table. This allows you to know exactly where the data on that form is going and always ensures the form can manipulate the underlying data.

To represent a 1-many relationship in forms you would have a main form based on the 1 table and a subform based on the many table.

plog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:11 AM   #17
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,645 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice

tgg1,

You have been given advice/suggestions to your questions-- what is status?

@lightwave
Nice analogy for the form as a window into/onto the database!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #18
Lightwave
Ad astra

Lightwave will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plog View Post
Disagree.

Forms that allow data changes (add/edit/delete) should be based on tables, not queries. 1 form, 1 table. This allows you to know exactly where the data on that form is going and always ensures the form can manipulate the underlying data.
OK I should qualify that - there is a body of thought that says that forms should be based on queries but certainly delete and add are better done by queries based on tables.

The larger your datasets the increasingly likely your forms may have to be based on queries.

Last edited by Lightwave; 08-17-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Lightwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #19
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

And sometimes you'll need to use queries on edit forms anyway. In my case, I deal with tables with millions (and in one case, billions) of records. Because of that, I generally use a query based on one single table to return a single record based on selected criteria. However, because the query is NOT one of the special non-updatable types and is based on a single table, the data can be edited.

Those types of games aren't as necessary with more reasonable table sizes, however.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." -Galileo Galilei
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #20
Lightwave
Ad astra

Lightwave will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Disagree.

Granted I was thinking about use cases such as bookings where a teacher may want to see only those students in a form that are in his classes and do some simple edits to their details.
Lightwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #21
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

ridders will become famous soon enough ridders will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Disagree.

Forms that allow data changes (add/edit/delete) should be based on tables, not queries. 1 form, 1 table. This allows you to know exactly where the data on that form is going and always ensures the form can manipulate the underlying data
Sorry but I disagree with the above.
Whilst I can totally understand why Plog is saying that, I regularly work with forms used for editing data that are based on several tables.
As long as they are designed well, it isn't a problem.

Clearly you need to make sure the query isn't read only!
The more tables there are, the more likely it becomes read only.
But if it is read only, by definition you can't edit the underlying tables anyway

, Tapatalk

If this answer has helped, please click the Thanks button and/or click the 'reputation' scales symbol on the left and leave a comment. Cheers!
ridders is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: