Please help! (1 Viewer)

Hiba87

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:48
When I save my access database as an ACCED file, the codes stop working. Please help me save my database as ACCED file while keeping the codes functional (i.e. as if they lose their function). Of note, my database is connected to SQL server.

I also need a method to protect the database after closing and hiding the access lists; I mean how can I make my database immune against the so-called shift bypass.

One final thing, after having my database finalized, is there a way to protect it from being copied on other computers?

Thanks and advance

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi,

Since Access is a file-based system, there isn’t really a way to prevent anyone from copying and saving it to another disk. The most you can do is prevent the file/app from running if it’s an unauthorized copy.

Sent from phone...

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
After converting, are you running the accde from a trusted location, or enabling code?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:48
Whilst what the DBGuy described is true, there is a lot you can do to secure your database.

1. Saving to ACCDE will compile your code so it isn't accessible to view, BUT it should definitely still work.
2. You can disable the Shift bypass and other Access special keys from Access options. Similarly disable Access full menus
3. You can also remove the navigation pane, ribbon and, if you wish to do so, the application window itself
4. To prevent knowledgeable users re-enabling all of these items, remove the File...Options menu using a customised ribbon
5. Use a login system for your FE (username/password) to restrict access to authorised users
You can also encrypt the FE using a password but your authorised users will need that to open the db
6. Add code to only allow the application to run on authorised workstations.

Only you can decide how many of the above are worthwhile for your setup.

There are other security features you can add, many of which I've written about elsewhere. Having a SQL Server BE as you are doing provides secure storage for your data.

However you need to be aware that no Access FE can ever be made 100% secure against capable hackers with sufficient time and determination

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom