Run code while other command (play wav) is still running (1 Viewer)

bruceblack

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:56
Hi everyone!

General question:

Can you run code and at the same time run another line while the first one is finishing?

An example im strugling with is that i play wav files some time.
But i would like the user to be able to continue, instead of waiting until the wave file is finished.

Is this at all possible?

Thanks already guys!:eek:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
No. Access is single thread. One task at a time.
So I'm fairly sure you would need to interrupt or stop the first task to do the second.
Suggest you play your music files in one app and do other tasks in a different app if that's feasible

bruceblack

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Isla :)

Thanks. Thats clear and confirmed.
Good idea, ill just run another instance of Access to play it.

The app guides the user through a process with voice.

Maybe i could use a webbrowser window....

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Or just click a button to run the wave file in media player or similar in the background (assuming a saved wave file)
If its text to speech, will performance risk being sluggish if two Access apps are running

bruceblack

Registered User.
Local time
Good one...but!

im using SAPI voice. So it uses text to speech from windows from within Access.

This because i have different conditions in my forms, and thus different outcomes.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Sounds like you already understand how to use TTS with Access but, in case its any help, have a look at my example TTS apps at: http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/text-to-speech/4594398121

In fact my original idea for doing this was to create a TTS help system but I never got around to doing so. I would be interested in following your progress on this project and, where I can assist, would be happy to do so.

Many of my Access forms include mouse over help giving brief information about that item.
I also created a help system for each item in one of my large schools apps. This had a menu system deliberately designed to look similar to Windows Help (pre-cortana) with each topic selected from a drop down menu by topic area.
There were about 500 topic items in all. Each item in the menu had 2 forms of help:
a) brief outline in plain text with links to PDFs in some cases
b) extended version in rich text with screen shots and links built in
Several items also had links to training videos uploaded to You Tube
It worked very well but was a lot of work to setup & maintain

I'm not sure whether a TTS help system would be less work but it could certainly be very useful, not least for those with visual impairment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom