Dllookup returning a numeric value as text (1 Viewer)

woodburym

Local time
Today, 05:51
I have a Dlookup which returns the correct value but returns the text of the instead of a numeric value. I have triple checked that the fields are all numeric. I suspect there is something wrong with my Dlookup syntax as it is my biggest weakness. Can anyone see in the following syntax what could be wrong?

DLookUp("SSER","TABSSS",[grosspay] & " Between [TABSSS].[Minrange] And [TABSSS].[Maxrange]")

:confused:

Beetle

Duly Registered Boozer
Local time
Today, 06:51
Your syntax is wrong. I'm surprised that it actually returns something and doesn't just result in an error. It should be;

DLookUp("SSER","TABSSS","[grosspay] Between " & [TABSSS].[Minrange] & " And " & [TABSSS].[Maxrange])

Although, I'm not sure DLookup is necessarily what you want here. If you're using the Between operator, that would normally indicate that you are looking for all records that fall within a certain range. DLookup will only return the first record found, regardless of how many may actually meet the criteria.

woodburym

Local time
Thanks Beetle,

I put your syntax in and it started returning other errors (no operator). You eluded to the fact I may be using the wrong approach. Let me describe in more detail what I am attempting.

I have a query which has [GrossSalary] calculated field for each employee. I want to return the social security amount [SSER] from a second table [TABSSS] into that query where [GrossSalary] falls between the values of [Minrange] and [Maxrange] which is also in the [TABSSS] table.

TABSSS looks like:

SSER, Maxrange, Minrange
100, 000, 999
200, 1000, 1999
300, 2000, 2999

if [GrossSalary] = 1540, then I want to return 200 [SSER] (a single value and not a range) into the query for each Employee.

Am I approaching it all wrong or maybe the Dlookup needs tweaking based on this info? :confused:

Last edited:

maosc

Local time
Today, 18:21
If your answer output is right and problem with only datatype text. then just use "Val" Function or CDbl function for converting same. example: Val(Dlookup(.......................)).

woodburym

Local time
Maosc,

The simple solution. I love it. Problem solved. Thanks!:)

Although I feel like a bit of a ditz! :( Thanks for taking your time to help a "special needs" guy. I also appreciate the lack of derogatory comments which I so obviously deserve in retrospect. :banghead:

Woody

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom