Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Access Web

Old 05-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
HeatherO
Newly Registered User

HeatherO is on a distinguished road
Remote Access to Database

Good Afternoon,

I have built an Access database that I need our inspectors and maintenance technicians to be able to connect to (via an IPAD) from the apartments they are inspecting or performing maintenance in. Our office staff uses the database sa well. Right now, the BE sits on our server and each of our office personnel has a FE saved to their desktops. Ideally, we would like a "real-time" connection that updates the data as soon as it's changed in the field. I've started to research this and think that maybe remoting in to our server would be the way to go. Looking for feedback from those of you who have first-hand knowledge. What would be the best way to accomplish this? All advice welcome!

Thanks,
Heather

HeatherO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
June7
Newly Registered User

June7 will become famous soon enough
Re: Remote Access to Database

This is not simple. I think options are VPN or web-based db, maybe using SharePoint.
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
HeatherO
Newly Registered User

Today we were able to successfully connect to the BE using VPN. What would be the advantages of using SharePoint instead? Isn't this being phased out? Also, we are concerned about the number of users that can successfully remote into the BE at one time. Any thoughts?

Old 05-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
June7
Newly Registered User

June7 will become famous soon enough

Yes, I have heard SharePoint is going away. Never used it. I would expect accessing db via VPN by multiple users would be no different than accessing locally on network from the db point of view. Users may experience slow data exchange. Depends on bandwidth I suppose. I work at home and all access to office is VPN to servers thousands of miles away. However, not using Access for database. And linkup is over cable, not wireless. Wireless would be a performance issue.
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Beetle
Duly Registered Boozer

Beetle will become famous soon enough Beetle will become famous soon enough

If you're talking about a situation where each remote user actually has a workstation at the home base on the LAN, and they are using VPN to connect to their local machine and run the application from there, that may be doable. However..

Quote:
Today we were able to successfully connect to the BE using VPN
it sounds like you are trying to run the front end on the remote device and connect to a Access (Jet/Ace) back end via VPN. This is a recipe for disaster. You will almost certainly end up with corruption in this scenario. Access is simply not designed to operate over WAN or internet. MSoft made a poorly implemented attempt at Access web apps in recent years, but that was more or less a failure and has been scrapped. Terminal services (i.e. Citrix, etc.) is an option, but again, that is where the remote user logs into a profile on the server and the app is run from there.

You could also try using a different database (SQL Server, MySQL and the like) and use an Access front end with unbound forms, etc. but then you are losing all the advantages of using Access to begin with (rad, bound forms...)

Dim Thirsty As String
Thirsty = "Insert Into Glass (Select Beer From Fridge)"
DoCmd.Execute Thirsty, dbPourAnotherOnError
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
HeatherO
Newly Registered User

The users would remote in to a virtual desktop that is housed on the same server as our BE. The FE is saved in that desktop.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: