Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 05-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,093 Times in 999 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Happy Mother's Day

I don't know how many countries celebrate this day, but in the USA we set aside one day a year as the "Mother's Day" holiday (and another for "Father's Day" later in June.) In the spirit of sharing culture and traditions with others to foster understanding, I thought I would bring it up.

First and foremost: To all the mothers out there, regardless of your country of origin or residence ... Happy Mother's Day!

To all of you who have been called "mother" (with or without a suffix), Happy Mother's Day to you too, just because I'm being charitable.

For those not familiar with this particular lesser holiday, it is an excuse to take Mom out or to fix a banquet for Mom and have family over to visit. It's an excuse to get family together for reasons that don't involve coffins or readings of wills. As the people of New Orleans learned so painfully during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath, celebrate life and its aspects whenever you can, because you cannot predict when you'll get another chance to have a party. Life is too short to miss those opportunities too often.

This year, we are celebrating Mother's day for my mother-in-law and might have as many as 16 people over for dinner. By special request, we are having roasted turkey plus the usual veggies and carbs. We have small bouquets of flowers for all of the mothers in the group. And we have a few non-family friends we invited as part of the melee. Sixteen people is quite the crowd for our dining area, though my sweetie assures me we have enough food for the crowd we expect to see.

So of course I know we in the USA have our own ways of celebrating things. What similar mother- or family-oriented celebrations do some of our non-USA folks have that match or correspond to Mother's Day?

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #2
scott-atkinson
I'm with the Witch.......

scott-atkinson will become famous soon enough
Re: Happy Mother's Day

In the UK Mothers Day is always in March, and Fathers Day always in June.

I know in many parts of Europe they also have a Name Day, this is like a celebration of everybody who shares the same name, it's like a mini Birthday, and Flowers and Gifts are expected.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #3
Orthodox Dave
Home Developer

Orthodox Dave is on a distinguished road
Re: Happy Mother's Day

Yes, in the UK the original name is Mothering Sunday and dates back to the 16th century:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothering_Sunday

People still call it Mothering Sunday, but it's more often called Mothers Day these days (the US name won through, but the date remains as it was).

Father's Day also goes back a long time, but there we have taken the date from the US (originally 19th March but now the third Sunday in June).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father%27s_Day

The simplest solutions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
can be the hardest to find
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orthodox Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: