How to count in Queries (1 Viewer)

randallst

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:18
Hi there,

It's been a while since I've used Access and I've gone a bit rusty (not that I was a master in the first place aha).

I've created a database to store certificates from our suppliers and I want to create a query that returns the following;
  • Count how many certificates arrived before delivery (<0)
  • Count how many certificates arrived after delivery (=>0)
  • Count how many certificates are yet to arrive (IsNull)
I want to sort this by supplier. The query is called 'Certificates Query' and the columns are called 'Supplier Name' and 'Day to get Cert'. I have attached a small screenshot of the 2 columns, hopefully will give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give :)
Stu

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 69

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
not quite clear what you want returned but suggest in this case perhaps use a group by query and sum e.g.

Code:
SELECT Supplier, Sum(iif(getcert<0,1,0)) as before, Sum(iif(getcert>=0,1,0)) as after, Sum(iif(getcert is null,1,0)) as notarrived
FROM myTable
GROUP BY Supplier

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 22:18
You can also see what happens if you just sum, and then negate, the boolean expressions directly...
Code:
SELECT Supplier, -Sum(getcert<0) as before, -Sum(getcert>=0) as after, -Sum(IsNull(getcert)) as notarrived
FROM myTable
GROUP BY Supplier
hth
Mark

randallst

Registered User.
Local time
not quite clear what you want returned but suggest in this case perhaps use a group by query and sum e.g.

Code:
SELECT Supplier, Sum(iif(getcert<0,1,0)) as before, Sum(iif(getcert>=0,1,0)) as after, Sum(iif(getcert is null,1,0)) as notarrived
FROM myTable
GROUP BY Supplier

Thanks to both of you for your replies, I tried CJ_London's response first and it returned what I was after! Thank you loads as I would have been sat here forever trying to work that out. :)

randallst

Registered User.
Local time
Okay I should have thought about this next request before I submitted my original question. I want to add a date range into the query (i.e. Certificate Stats based on deliveries between these dates, or show all deliveries if left blank).

I've got part of it working, but I can't seem to group the suppliers together like before as it's separating them out based on the 'Arrival Date'. Screenshots attached.

Sorry I'm rubbish at explaining, but hopefully along with the screenshots you may understand what I'm looking to achieve. :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 61

randallst

Registered User.
Local time
Sussed it!!

Code:
SELECT [Certificates Query].[Supplier Name], Sum(IIf([getcert]<0,1,0)) AS [Before Delivery], Sum(IIf([getcert]>=0,1,0)) AS [After Delivery], Sum(IIf([getcert] Is Null,1,0)) AS [Awaiting Certificate]
FROM [Certificates Query]
WHERE ([Certificates Query].[Arrival Date]) Between Nz([Forms]![Cert Arrival Popup]![From],#1/1/1930#) And Nz([Forms]![Cert Arrival Popup]![To],#1/1/2999#)
GROUP BY [Certificates Query].[Supplier Name]
ORDER BY [Certificates Query].[Supplier Name];

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:18
It would be generic not to use hard coded values:

SELECT [Certificates Query].[Supplier Name], Sum(IIf([getcert]<0,1,0)) AS [Before Delivery], Sum(IIf([getcert]>=0,1,0)) AS [After Delivery], Sum(IIf([getcert] Is Null,1,0)) AS [Awaiting Certificate]
FROM [Certificates Query]
WHERE ([Certificates Query].[Arrival Date]) Between Nz([Forms]![Cert Arrival Popup]![From],[Certificates Query].[Arrival Date]) And Nz([Forms]![Cert Arrival Popup]![To], [Certificates Query].[Arrival Date])
ORDER BY [Certificates Query].[Supplier Name];

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom