Solving Error 3048 "Cannot open anymore databases" (1 Viewer)

Kronix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:35
Tell me if I did a clean workaround.

So I had the problem, after splitting my database, I would get Error 3048 "Cannot open anymore databases" when opening my report. My report shows a list of orders containing an item in a given time period. I pinpointed the problem to the subreport that contains the actual list of items. It is shown for each order in the list and has as its source a query containing all item orders in the database. It retrieves the appropriate items for each order from the query based on OrderID.

So what I did was saved a copy of the source query and changed it into an append query that adds the results of the query to a temporary table I created with the same fields. I also created another copy of the query and changed it to a delete query for the the same temptable. I then went to the main form that contains the button which calls the report. In the OnClick macro I added an action to run VBA code and placed it before the action that opens the report. The RunCode action opens a VBA function fncTempTabelle() I put in the main form's module as follows:

Code:
Function fncTempTable() 'Temporary Table is used to avoid Database Connections error.
    Dim dbs As DAO.Database

Set dbs = CurrentDb

dbs.Execute "qryTempTableErase" 'Clean any previous usage of the table
    dbs.Execute "qryTempTableGen" 'Populate the table with current items

Set dbs = Nothing

End Function

It works. Does all this look good? Did I miss an easier way to solve this whole problem?

BTW, I did this in the split frontend and realized the temp table is now in the frontend, so I had to go back to the unsplit database, add all this stuff I did, and split it again. Which made me wonder, is there a way to create a table from the front end that is stored on the back end?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:35
for me, it is better to left the temp table in the FE as you are deleting and re-inserting records to it, the BE will tend to bloat.

it is easier to compact/repair on the fe.

your last question, yes you can create a table on the BE, either by opening the BE and create the table. on the FE create a link to that table.
or you can create through VBA.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:35
My preference is to use a temp database. When I need a temp table I create a temp database in the apps root folder upon start up. I then have template tables in my front end for any temp tables I may need. This makes it easier to make changes to them when needed. When I have to use a temp table I select the template into the temp database, link to it, and use it. When done I unlink the tables and delete the temp database. Very little bloat to mysysNameMap table caused by the linking and unlinking but not as much as deleting data.

heres a sample of some of the code.

Attachments

• TempDatabase.zip
    86.3 KB · Views: 109

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom