Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 06-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
HeatherO
Newly Registered User

HeatherO is on a distinguished road
Delete query asking parameter value?

I have two tables (Roommates, Applicants) and want to delete records from Roommates where field name Roommate Name matches field name Roommate Name in Applicants. Tried using the below but am asked for parameter value when I run it. I just want it to recognize ALL matches and automatically delete those records. Any advice would be appreciated.

DELETE*
FROM ROOMMATES
WHERE(ROOMATES.ROOMMATENAME=APPLICANTS.ROOMMATENAM E)

HeatherO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
NauticalGent
Dazed and Confused
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent will become famous soon enough
Re: Delete query asking parameter value?

Not an expert on SQL which is why I do all my queries in Design Mode. That being said, without some type of join, Access does not know what it is you are trying to do, so it is asking for user input, aka a parameter.
NauticalGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,985 Posts
CJ_London is a jewel in the rough CJ_London is a jewel in the rough CJ_London is a jewel in the rough

perhaps something like

DELETE *
FROM ROOMMATES
WHERE EXISTS( SELECT * FROM APPLICANTS WHERE ROOMMATENAME=ROOMATES.ROOMMATENAME)

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all

IF that SQL that you showed us was a Cut/Paste, you have an extra space in the last part of the WHERE clause that causes a name to be divided.

The "Parameter" question usually occurs when something is spelled wrong. Having an extraneous space in the middle of a name qualifies in my book.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,304 Times in 1,229 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
IF that SQL that you showed us was a Cut/Paste, you have an extra space in the last part of the WHERE clause that causes a name to be divided.
That space is automatically inserted by the board. It prevents long lines of unbroken text from pushing the window beyond the screen.

It is another reason why all code should be posted inside code tags.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all

Ah, interesting, G. Didn't realize there was an automatic edit in the screen for ordinary text. My other comment still applies. The most common source of a "Parameter" dialog pop-up is that something isn't spelled correctly.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #7
HeatherO
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
perhaps something like

DELETE *
FROM ROOMMATES
WHERE EXISTS( SELECT * FROM APPLICANTS WHERE ROOMMATENAME=ROOMATES.ROOMMATENAME)
I tried this as well and am still be asked to enter a parameter value. I don't see anything that is misspelled (I corrected the spelling of the word "Roommate" above)...

Old 06-20-2017, 04:53 AM   #8
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

ridders will become famous soon enough ridders will become famous soon enough

Try this:

Code:
DELETE Roommates.*, *
FROM Roommates INNER JOIN Applicants ON Roommates.RoomMateName = Applicants.RoomMateName;
NOTE - the ; at the end is necessary for any code to run

NOTE: If you are using referential integrity with cascade delete, you may end up deleting records in other tables
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Tapatalk

If this answer has helped, please click the Thanks button and/or click the 'reputation' scales symbol on the left and leave a comment. Cheers!
ridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 AM   #9
CJ_London
Super Moderator

CJ_London is a jewel in the rough CJ_London is a jewel in the rough CJ_London is a jewel in the rough

what is the parameter being asked for?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:04 AM   #10
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Quote:
NOTE - the ; at the end is necessary for any code to run
Sorry Colin, not true. Access includes it when generating code itself - as it does for square brackets and table names. The first not necessary if the name does not include spaces or non alphanumeric characters and the latter even if there is only the one table. Only time I can think you have to use ';' is if there is a declared parameter line in the code
Old 06-20-2017, 05:05 AM   #11
HeatherO
Newly Registered User

Not using referential integrity... but good to know!!

I actually get two parameter boxes. One says "Roommates.RoommateName" and the other says "Applicants.RoommateName"

I've tried putting a name in (just to see what happens) and it brings up every record in the Roommates table.

Any other ideas?

I appreciate all of the help!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 AM   #12
ridders
AWF VIP
Gold Supporter

ridders will become famous soon enough ridders will become famous soon enough

@CJ London
I stand corrected

@HeatherO
Did you get 2 parameter boxes in response to the query I gave you.
If so, it suggests the field RoomMateName isn't in EITHER table - maybe its got a space in it or called something else!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Tapatalk

If this answer has helped, please click the Thanks button and/or click the 'reputation' scales symbol on the left and leave a comment. Cheers!
ridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:23 AM   #13
CJ_London
Super Moderator

@HeatherO. Perhaps it is time for you to upload a copy of your table designs

I'm wondering if you are using lookups in your table design and perhaps captions for fields
Old 06-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #14
HeatherO
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
@HeatherO. Perhaps it is time for you to upload a copy of your table designs

I'm wondering if you are using lookups in your table design and perhaps captions for fields
You have to bare with me - I'm rather new at this!! I took snip its of both tables in design view - not sure if that helps?? Yes, there are lookup fields and the "Roommate Name" field in the Applicants table is actually a calculated field (Roommate Name=Assigned To)... reason being that the assigned to party was mistakenly uploaded to the roommates table as well and they need to come out.

Thanks again guys... I appreciate the time!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Applicants.PNG (19.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: png Roommates.PNG (11.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #15
BeeJayEff
Newly Registered User

BeeJayEff is on a distinguished road

The field name [RoomMate Name] is different to [RoomMateName]. The general recommendation is to avoid using spaces in field names.

BeeJayEff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: