Getting Data from one Table to complete in another (1 Viewer)

Mrsdeapsleap

Local time
Today, 12:08
Hi, this is my first time posting, so please be gentle with me! Have been using Access on and off for 20 years, and am now using Office 2016. Quite a few changes since I trained on Windows 98!

I have a database that I use to manage our works mobiles; includes things like user name, mobile number, cost code, sim number, IMEI, etc. This works great for me. I now have another staff member helping out with the issuing of new phones, and I need a simple solution that we both can use for monitoring new requests. I have now set up a "Request" table, which will include staff name and number, request type (smart or basic), cost code, and status of issue (requested, with networking, ready for collection, issued). This means at any given time we should be able to check the progress of a new phone issue. What I would like (if possible) is that when a phone is selected as "issued", the data (staff name, number, Phone details, etc) is automatically added to the main database as an active phone. Most of my column titles match up, but there are some in the Request Table that aren't needed in the main table.

Can this be done? I will add example database for you to see, but will need to anonymise data before I can do this. I'd rather not have to use the lookup column function, as there are over 1,500 records already in the main database!

Thanks in advance.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:08
If you are both using the same data, you should first consider doing a database "split" so that you are both working on the same tables. Look up the topic "split a database" in this forum for articles on doing it. There is a ribbon option that will do a split for you on the Database Tools part of the ribbon.

When you talk about "main database" and whatever databases you are using (that obviously are NOT the main database) then we need to know how they do (or how you intended for them to) communicate. Are all of the databases simple Access? Or do you have something in SQL? Or are they Excel files? We need to have some idea of the structural constraints before we can advise you how to implement what you request.

This should not be difficult but there are three or four different ways to approach the problem and I think we need to understand the direction from which you are coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom