Random problem (1 Viewer)

ontopofmalvern

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:14
Hi
I have a fairly complicated database, I have about 12 different users using the same clone of the front end accessing the same back end on a server. One user (and only one user) is experiencing several unique problems. At least half my others user are using the same model Laptop with the same version of windows and Access but only this one user is experiencing these problems.

In one case (the one I can get to the bottom off) her version simply doesn't carry out a very simple SQL update instruction run from VBA. There are no SQL errors generated it just doesn't carry out the update.

As said I have a dozen other users running an exact clone of the same Front End without problem. There is another form that causes her Access to crash (haven't quite got to exactly what provokes it but it is while appending a new record). Both these problems are persistent on her machine but do not ever occur on any others.

Any ideas of where to go with this would be great.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:14
Hi. One thing I would try is isolate the machine from the user. For example, would she still have the same problems if you were able to swap out the machine with another user not having any issues? If the problem switches to the other user, then the issue is with the machine. If the problem follows the original user, then I would check her permissions and anything else "user" related.

ontopofmalvern

Registered User.
Local time
Many thanks for quick input. Defiantly not the user, definately something on her laptop. She is pretty limited what she can change as she doesn't have admin rights. What is so odd is that it is 2 very specific actions that are problematic (there maybe more unknown), as far as I can tell everything else works fine there are plenty of other update and append operations that work fine it's just these two. One crashes Access the other just doesn't happen.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Many thanks for quick input. Defiantly not the user, definately something on her laptop. She is pretty limited what she can change as she doesn't have admin rights. What is so odd is that it is 2 very specific actions that are problematic (there maybe more unknown), as far as I can tell everything else works fine there are plenty of other update and append operations that work fine it's just these two. One crashes Access the other just doesn't happen.
What are the chances to ask IT to refresh her machine?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:14
Whenever this happens, you have to become a surgeon and do some exploratory work.

1. Compare the library references list between any correctly working machine and the problem machine. (Code window >> Tools >> References)

2. Verify proper security permissions for the unlucky user. (From the given machine, browse to the back-end file, right-click >> Properties >> Security >> Effective Permissions and then compare to a working machine.)

3. What is different about the actions regarding other things that work from that machine? What do these actions touch that some other actions don't touch?

4. Compact & Repair the miscreant front-end file.

5. If that C&R doesn't fix it, you said this was a clone of a front-end. So give the person a new clone.

ontopofmalvern

Registered User.
Local time
Many thanks for everyone's help and apologies for my tardy thanks. I did eventually solve the problems Doc_Man's surgeon analogy was spot on. The main problem came down to one of users being a more efficient and triggering an event before she'd finished selecting her choice from a combo-box so changing event from 'onchange' to 'afterupdate' cured it. Looking back at tDBguy initial response I should have picked it up there. It's all a learning curve.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Many thanks for everyone's help and apologies for my tardy thanks. I did eventually solve the problems Doc_Man's surgeon analogy was spot on. The main problem came down to one of users being a more efficient and triggering an event before she'd finished selecting her choice from a combo-box so changing event from 'onchange' to 'afterupdate' cured it. Looking back at tDBguy initial response I should have picked it up there. It's all a learning curve.
Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:14
Ah, yes... Access gives you the ability to use so many different events that it is MARVELOUS - except that sometimes it can be as confusing as an art nouveau movie. Picking the right event can be difficult sometimes. We've all been there and can easily sympathize. Glad you figured it out. Glad my suggestion of an orderly exploration helped you to focus on the clues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom