Creating a chart from cross-tab in Access 2016 (1 Viewer)

MilaK

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:14
Hello,

Is it possible to create a scattered plot from a cross-tab query in Access 2016?
I get an error message every time I try. It works well if I export data to Excel and create a chart there but I would like to do this in Access.

Thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:14
What error message? How are you attempting to do this? Manually or VBA? Give us a few details, please.

MilaK

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:14
Hi,

I've created a cross-tab query and was manually adding a chart to a form. Each time Access crashed "error has occurred please restart the program." I haven't tried with vba yet.

Thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:14
But it doesn't say WHICH error has occurred?

Is there a chance that at the time you were working, you had disabled warnings? You need to see the actual error. Without it, we're going to be stymied here.

One ugly but possible way to get the error is to repeat the attempt with a "clock gadget" showing on-screen so you can get the time to the second showing when the error occurred. This means you can't maximize the Access window. You need to leave room to see either the clock gadget or, if necessary, double-click the time/date usually shown in the lower-right of the screen so that the time-setting box is up. Just leave it up; don't attempt to set the time. You really want the second-hand to be showing. Once you have that set up, try adding your chart. Get your message as you report it. Note the time to the second as quickly as you can.

Then you need to use the start button in the lower left corner to get to the control panel and activate "Administrative Tools" - and from there, "Event Viewer."

You need to then open each of the System, Event, and Application logs one at a time to find any events within 5 seconds of the time you noted on your experiment. One of them SHOULD tell you more details of an event for MSACCESS.EXE including either "image exit" or "process termination" or something along those lines. Look at the details of that message.

To make the process easier, in the Menu bar of Event Viewer, there is a View which when clicked gives you a drop-down. Select "Preview" and that should give you a single-line list of events with date and time to the second in the 2nd column, event type in the first column. That would let you scroll easily to find the right time. I'm saying 5 seconds either way but it could be a little bit longer. It won't be more than a full minute unless you had pandemonium running on your system at the time.

There is a list of viewable logs on the left of the Event Viewer window. When you click on an event log to view, look immediately in the title bar to see how many events there are. If it is a very big number (and it CAN be in the six-digit range) it might take the viewer more than just a couple of second to display the list. If it is a very big list, you might even get a "snap-in not responding" at first. Formatting a large log in order to show the list is a heavy computing event.

The presence of Office on a system sometimes adds a viewer category called "Microsoft" with a sub-category of "Microsoft Office Alerts" - which would be a good candidate to at least start your search. However, other valid sources of such alerts exist under "Windows Logs". You'll just have to browse.

The key to getting this info is that if your clock gadget or the Windows Clock is showing on screen (perhaps the clock dialog box used to set system time) so that you can get seconds, that clock is showing the actual system time-base, so any events that occur AND ARE LOGGED will include that time. Which is why when you attempt your graph, you must note the time to the second as quickly as possible.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 06:14
Hi,

I've created a cross-tab query and was manually adding a chart to a form. Each time Access crashed "error has occurred please restart the program." I haven't tried with vba yet.

Thanks
Post your database with the query, form and some sample data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom