can i update a table in a split file? (1 Viewer)

martinr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:21
i have an Access 2007 file that is 'split' so the tables are centrally stored on the server.
how do i update one the linked tables stored in the back-end file with a table from another Access file?
If I import the 'new' table it is not 'linked' - it is embedded wiht the Access file I am working on.
what is the correct way of doing this without corrupting the data?

Last edited:

Drunkenneo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:51
It is easy if you just want to import the table in be of Split Databse in server, just right click and import the table. But if you want the table to split in BE and FE again, i would suggest don't do at run time, that will be lethal.

It is very easy to 'unsplit' the database. Open the back end (mdb with the tables) and import all the objects from the front end. If the front end has no tables, your done because there are no database relationships between forms, queries, etc.

The other option is to import the tables from the back end into the front end. When you do this, make sure you open the 'advanced' tab when you select the tables and check the "relationships" box. Of course, make sure you import all the tables.

If you have tables in the front end, and you are importing into the backend, again make sure you get all the tables and check the Relationships box.

It is very common to work with a split database. The only differences I have found is that you have to open the back end file to make design changes to the tables and you do have to maintain the links to the tables.

Hope this is your answer.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:21
Can be more precise ? What mean "update" ? What you intend to change ?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:21
It is easy.

Export the new table to the backend from its source database. The backend must be closed for this to work.

Alternatively, open the backend and Import the table.

Then Link the table to the front end.

If the backend is SQL Server then you will need to update the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom