Using replicationid as autonumber works but not in subforms - why? (1 Viewer)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:22
Usually I would be answering this question, but this has me stumped. Just want to see if anyone has some suggestions.

For a client, I have a need to be able to export selected data (based on user) from a master db backend to a local db for the user to take somewhere without access to the master db, make changes and additions and update the master db on their return. Basically a simple form of replication – but syncing the data only. I can see other uses around performance, report distribution, etc as well so set about developing a ‘universal’ process I could use in other applications and using replicationid as the autonumber to avoid potential clashes.

Everything works extremely well so far as the syncing is concerned (at least in a test environment, haven’t reached user testing yet:D). The problem is with presenting the data on a form. Typically with these things, the issue doesn't present itself until towards the end of the development:mad:

In the attached database, Customers have contacts who in turn have notes. To demonstrate the issue, the form which opens (probfmCustomers) has a mainform with customers and a subform with contacts plus a second subform on the mainform for notes which has the linkmaster property set to current record in the contacts subform via a control on the main form. All a standard setup.

The problem is that the notes subform won’t populate with existing data – just as if dataentry was set to yes. I’ve included a third subform based directly on the contacts table – and this will display related records if you click the + to prove the links work.

I’ve also included the same data but with autonumber as a long. Open the form frmCustomers or change the recordsources of the three forms and it works as expected.

If I use a nested subform it works OK – see the altfmCustomers form

So I appear to have two workarounds – one is to use nested subforms, although this does have issues around form layout. The other is to use a random long autonumber with a potential duplication risk when syncing.

So why won't it display as required when using a replicationID? I would rather stick with my original vision if someone can point out what I am missing – any suggestions?

Attachments

• simples.zip
    139 KB · Views: 46

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
made some progress of sorts, but now have the opposite - now all notes appear regardless of the contact!

changed the linkcontrol controlsource from

=[ContactsSF].[Form].[contactPK]

to

="{guid " & Nz([ContactsSF].[Form].[contactPK],"{000A0000-A0A0-0A0A-AA00-A00A0A000AA0}") & "}"

nz for new records

In addition, when adding new notes, I get the error message

The object doesn't contain the automation object 'contactPK'

-contactPK is the name of the link control

Just discovered the GUIDfromstring function - so will investigate furter

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Found an acceptable solution

1. remove values from linkchild/master properties of notesSF
2. remove link field in main table
3. in contacts subform put the following in the form current event

Code:
On Error Resume Next 'in case notesSF has not yet been opened on the main form or this form is being opened directly
Parent.NotesSF.Form.RecordSource = "select * from rpknotes where contactfk=" & StringFromGUID(ContactPK)

it is a technique I have used in the past to minimise network traffic on large datasets but didn't think I needed it here since the backend will always be local for this application and relatively small.

I had tried it without the stringfromGUID function, but hadn't worked so had abandoned that line of investigation.

As to my original question - why? it is because a GUID is actually an array of bytes and access controls cannot display these as such, so displays as text. It was trying to compare an array of bytes with a different array of bytes in a string - both of which when interpreted as text, look the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom