Password Protecting Backend of Split Database (1 Viewer)

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:10
I'm trying to learn about this, so I created a single table, single form test app. I followed the directions found in numerous places online.

1. Split database.
2. Delete the linked table in the front end
3. Open back end in exclusive mode.
4. Encrypt back end.
5. Re-link table in front end.
6. Ensure both front end and back are set to shared and no locks.
7. Distribute full copies of front end to two users with the back end on shared resource on a LAN.

All works as expected except that multiple users aren't allowed. What am I missing?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:10
Hi

Your statement in Paragraph 5. Relink Table in Front End is wrong.

There should be no tables in the FE at all

All table reside in the BE
The FE should only contain the queries , Forms , Reports, Macros and Modules

You can create Local tables in the FE

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
I'm sorry, that was poorly worded. Should say re-link table TO front end.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Has the BE been opened exclusively? If so, it will prevent further connections

Check the Default Open Mode in the Advanced section of Access options client settings and ensure it is set to Shared (not Exclusive)

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, both the front end and back end are set to shared in Client Settings.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Check that someone hasn't opened the BE exclusively on its own.

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Its just my helper (a cooperative co-worker) and myself. No one else.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Being set to open exclusively is the only logical explanation I can think of

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:10
Could be that the folder containing the FE is read only preventing creation of the database.laccdb

Also rather than trying to access the BE from the second FE, try opening the BE directly. This will positively show that it has been opened exclusively.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:10
This "exclusive open" can occur if you have the wrong permissions on the folder wherein the shared BE file resides. You MUST have the broad-brush "MODIFY" permissions on the folder as well as on the files themselves. The MODIFY group of permissions includes the ability to read the folder, write to the folder (to create and delete files), and to set certain file properties. It is easier to use the MODIFY settings than to try to go "advanced" in the file security tab and set the eleven or so permissions you actually need for proper Access use.

The reason for locking (if it IS permissions) is ...

If the folder does not allow you to create a file, the first user to open the file cannot create the lock file correctly. In that case, the only solution is to hard-lock the file through the Windows file system despite the fact that you intended to open it shared.

Another gotcha: Sometimes, if you cannot delete the lock file either, then you could lock the file from yourself if you exit and then try to re-open it.

Having MODIFY permissions or FULL CONTROL on the folder would convey the correct permissions for normal Access use. If you don't control the system acting as the file repository, then I could easily imagine the sys admin would have set more restrictive permissions by default to ALL folders.

Note also: This IS a case where if the problem is permissions and your server's sys admin doesn't like giving out personal permssions en bloc, you can suggest that s/he create a group with the required permissions, tack that group on the folder and all children of that folder, and then assign you and your assistant to the group.

DeanFran

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for pointing me to the folder permissions facet of all this. I finally got a chance to take a look. My sandbox application was stored on a shared volume attached to a Netgear rounter, using the ReadyShare application that comes with these routers. For some reason I don't understand, folder permissions don't seem to stick on these drives. You can set them, but they don't take. By way of a test, I set up a laptop on the LAN, shared a folder, and moved my little test app to it. After doing this, everything worked as expected. I'm going to have to dive into why folders on a ReadyShare don't work like a normal windows folder. I did manage to get to access the router administrator pages. There's not a whole lot there, but the entire thing is NTFS and is set to "All" for Read and Write access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom