Data not visible to other users (1 Viewer)

dmorgan20

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:50
Morning all

Hopefully I am posting in the right area for this.

Go easy on me in case I use the wrong terminology when explaining my issue, I will try to break it down in points for ease of understanding.

Example:
- Both me and another user has an access database open
- I complete a form by filling in a customers name, address etc (the data is saved to a table using a recordset)
- If I open the table I can see the record I have just saved
- If the other user opens the table, no data is in there
- Now, if the other users closes the database and reopens it, they can now see the record I saved

Any idea why this is not essentially updating real time

P.S Im using 2016 version

Thanks in advance

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:50
Where are the tables stored ? In a network shared backend database ?
Or are you both sharing the same database ?

dmorgan20

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Minty

We are sharing the same database

Cheers

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Ok as soon as more than one person is using a database you should split it into a Front End and a Back End. The Back end contains the tables, the front end everything else.

The Front end copy you have locally on each users PC, and the back end you store on a suitable network share. You link the FE's to BE tables.

If you don't do this you will almost certainly suffer from corruption of either data or database objects, and other strangeness similar to your description.

Have a read here s for some more details - http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftaccess/databasesplitter/

It may sound a little onerous but will save you a whole heap of pain later.

dmorgan20

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Minty,

Just want to thank you for the quick responses and recommend, and correct way this should have been setup.

I have split the database and the problem is resolved, rookie mistake eh!

Thanks again for the help and your time

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
That was quick! Glad your problem is solved

It's the only way to deal with multiple users.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Whilst a single shared DB is a bad idea, would not a Refresh/Requery solved this problem.?

dmorgan20

Registered User.
Local time
Whilst a single shared DB is a bad idea, would not a Refresh/Requery solved this problem.?

Thanks for the reply, ill probably stick with the split database now.

How would you refresh a table for another user is they are manually double clicking the table to open it? My initial thought was that manually double clicking the table to open it would 'auto refresh' it.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Definitely stick with the split DB.
Yes, opening the table should give the latest data (or so I would have thought?), but if it was already open, then a Refresh might be needed, or so my experience has shown when I am inspecting tables directly.
However, it is not recommended to give users access to tables directly, but through forms.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I have seen some odd situations where even though the data has been updated (split database), another user does not see the changes right away (Access caching?). Doesn't happen all the time. Also the original database was created years ago (not split). But the database will be soon a relic of the past since the users are getting a web based application to replace it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:50
There is a default value for the auto-refresh that occurs for various Access objects. The delay might be no more than that built-in timer. It is found in the File >> Options >> Current Database panel somewhere near the bottom.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One great advantage of a split database is you can make application design changes, without worrying about the data. You can use a copy of the real data fro testing purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom