Rights within .ADP project (1 Viewer)

Aks69cw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:42
Hi Everyone, I'm new on the block and I was searching for an answer for a .ADP Project.
As you all know .ADP is Access Front-end and SQL Server Back-end.

I have to manage a secured .ADP application.
This application is in use as a database for customers, planning of mechanics and making invoices.

The application is secured which means that the sidebar is not visible and users cannot make the sidebar visible.
In this way no user can enter tables or queries in this application. As admin can I enter tables and queries from the front-end.
All users are in a usergroup with only rights to update fields within the application and use the forms.

Now I discovered that one user made a copy of the application. All rights have fallen off and she can see, enter and build queries and/ or tables in this copy. When she make a query this will end up on SQL Server.

This causes a lot of risks and I want to prevent this. One thing I can't find is how to set rights in order to prevent copying the application or setting rights that queries made in the copy can't reach SQL Server.
If someone has another way of preventing this kind of risks? Feel free to enlighten me.

Kind regards, Aks

pilsdumps

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:42
When you say its secured, do you mean you've prevented the use of the Shift key on application start up? Usually holding this key on start up will enable the access to tables etc.

To secure the sql db you need to manage the permissions of the user. If they're logging in with dbo access then they can create tables and so on. If you restrict their user permissions on the db by denying the CREATE TABLE permission etc then they won't be able to do this.

Aks69cw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:42
Hi Pilsdumps, they are logging in with dbo. What you say is that they need an account with rights denying create table. Haven't thought about that. That solves another problem as well.
But does this also works when the access application (the front what people see) is copied and pasted elsewhere?

I discovered that this is happening and when copied the rights are no longer there. Or are that the rights in the application and not on the tables?

pilsdumps

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:42
The best bet is to create a role with all the requisite permissions. The ideal solution is to provide data insert/update/deletes via stored procedures then you can just grant execute permissions on these and not worry about permissions on the tables. If the owner of the table and stored proc is the same ownership chaining means you don't have to give direct access to the tables. However, if you're not using stored procs you need to provide the necessary permissions on the tables themselves. Using roles is the best way, as once configured you can add or remove users from the roles as you need without having to configure each user separately. The front-end Access db is just a view of the data so copying and pasting it around has no impact. The permissions are all managed in SQL Server. It matters not whether you've got Access, WPF, Silverlight etc front-end - the restrictions will still apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom