My Audit Trail (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeAlvey

Local time
Today, 11:06
Hi all,

Attached is a VERY generic database that includes the audit trail I've been using for the past several months. It is pretty flexible and can be updated to your liking. One downfall of it (IMO) is if you're using cascading updates and deletes, those will not show up in the audit table. It runs off of form events.

The advantage to it over some of the others is that everything is stored in an "Audit" table rather than an audit field on the form itself. It makes it VERY easy to query on all modified, deleted, etc. records. The user will be prompted for a reason a record was changed/deleted...otherwise, the user has no idea it's happening (you can also disable the prompts).

The code to implement this is very simple. You will need the table "tblAudit," the modules "basAudit" and "basDelete," and then use the code in the "before_update" event and the "on_click" event for the Delete button.

I've based this off of several examples I have found in articles and forums around the internet. The juice of it is based off of Microsoft KB Q197592. This was developed using Access 2003. It has not been tested on any other version, nor have I done any formal validation. Use this at your own risk!

I’m not an Access Programmer by trade…I just use it for a few side projects. Therefore, if you have any problems or suggestions, post it on here for everyone to see. There are a few things that I know can be improved and I'll list them out later. I’m not on the forums too often, however I’ll try to check back every once in a while.

Let me know what you think!!

Attachments

• audit.zip
    56.5 KB · Views: 4,684
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom