Access to IPad (1 Viewer)

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:37
I believe one issue of users with a Citrix connection to a database application , is that there is no C drive for saving any temporary files. This probably because the FE is running in a virtual windows space on the server.

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:37
I meant when you started your project a year ago or indeed at any time before today.
There are frequent questions about this topic in this forum and elsewhere. The answer is always the same.
Whilst the Filemaker interface looks slick, I would be very surprised if it works well wirelessly.

I have suggested a way forward using Access on windows tablets with all data stored on the tablet when not physically connected to the network. What did you think of that idea?

All the off site users will have to have the latest updated data, so if they have stored data on the devise, it would not be the latest, they also need to update data on their side so send back to the server.

I am looking in to ESS and ODBC

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 18:37
Gismo
ESS has several meanings. What were you referring to?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:37
I would suggest if your users are predominantly using apple devices and not using MS Office go with Filemaker, otherwise stick with Access.

I tried Filemaker about 15 years ago, and found the logic so at odds with Access and other rdbms's I really struggled to make anything work. It may well have changed now but the reality for me is all my clients use windows devices and MS Office, so I stick with Access.

The only small issue I have with Terminal Server (don't know about Citrix) is the server uses a 'virtual' monitor to display in the TS window, and the size can vary from the actual monitor you are using. If the virtual monitor is larger than the actual monitor, you have to scroll the desktop (using the scrollbars in the TS window) - and maximising a form means you may then have to use the TS window scrollbars.

I haven't found a way of determining the size of the users TS window to enable my apps to adjust themselves automatically - if anyone knows how, would be great to know. or even if not possible so I don't keep thinking 'I will look into that one day'. It is not a major issue, just a niggle

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:37
Cronk, normally you would be right, but when we investigated this for our Navy site, we found there WAS a way to make a real drive visible for the purpose of (a) storing the FE file and (b) doing a command-line CD command to change to that as the default directory. Even a virtual Windows session honors that command.

We eventually found a way around the problem by moving to a different server that didn't have the firewall issues, but we found it WAS possible. It was just that the Citrix manager thought it was a pain in the tail to do that, but my boss was not only the one who wanted it done, but he was the Citrix manager's boss too. So it COULD have happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom