Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 02-16-2019, 02:30 AM   #1
zelarra821
Newly Registered User

zelarra821 is on a distinguished road
Bug You tried to open a database that is already open by the user 'Admin' on the mach

For quite some time now, these messages have been appearing when I closed the database.

This failure not only appears in a single database, but in several, and always when closing, it does not matter from the form that it does.

The installation of Office is newly installed, and I already failed before.

Things I've tried:

1. I have created a new database and imported all the content, and the same thing happens to me.
2. To compile the database, both the original and the new that I mentioned in the previous point, but also gives the failure.
3. Also to enter in exclusive mode, but it is not plan to access every time, for the inconvenience that supposes.

I do not know what else to try. I need to give you a definitive solution. I have Office 2016 and Windows 7.

Anyone know what might be happening?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png 18185cb8c66e282bb0859b20c4455ce0.png (29.2 KB, 21 views)

zelarra821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:52 AM   #2
JHB
Have been here a while

Location: In the south of Denmark (Jutland), near the German border.
Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,993 Posts
JHB has a spectacular aura about JHB has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bug You tried to open a database that is already open by the user 'Admin' on the

Are you running the database at a server or you local computer, (both Front- and Back-end)?
Do you've any code running when you close the database?
Do you have the option to save the database in another version like 2010 or 2003 or 2000?

Else post your database with a few sample data in it, (zip it)!
zelarra821 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:07 AM   #3
essaytee
Need a good one-liner.

essaytee is on a distinguished road
Re: Bug You tried to open a database that is already open by the user 'Admin' on the

Ok, turn-off error checking routines (comment out On Error lines), attempt to close the database. The error should force Access to break to code. This could indicate the area or code snippets that are the culprits. The below link suggests that there may be some running code elsewhere while at the same time you're attempting to close the database.

More info here.

Edit: JHB - I didn't see your response when I started typing my response.

I know UNIX, PASCAL, C, FORTRAN, COBOL, and nineteen other high-tech words.
essaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to essaytee For This Useful Post:
zelarra821 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:23 AM   #4
JHB
Have been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by essaytee View Post
Edit: JHB - I didn't see your response when I started typing my response.
No problem, have a nice weekend!
zelarra821 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:52 AM   #5
zelarra821
Newly Registered User

We have the database in the Dropbox folder, that is, it is synchronized with Dropbox, but it is on our local computer.

I have a code to create a backup when the "Start" form is closed, but the error was already given much earlier than this.

On the other hand, I do not know where is the option to save the database for previous versions.

I have commented on the lines On Error Resume Next (it is a barbarity that I want to correct in the next update I make of the database, sorry!), But I still get the same error. I have tried to give Control + Break control, and it only closes.

As I was saying, I get an error with other databases. So, either it is a code that is in both databases, or the Access configuration, which is giving the problem.

I leave the database.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Base de datos.zip (892.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 04:09 AM   #6
JHB
Have been here a while

I do not get any error when I close the database:
I've made a database in mdb format for you - try it.

What if you made a new simple database - do you still get the error?
How did you compile the database?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Base de datos.zip (1.91 MB, 9 views)
zelarra821 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 04:21 AM   #7
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,275 Times in 2,097 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

Before you upload a database for us to test, you should remove everything irrelevant to the issue and compact.
You should also remove all the security so we don't have to waste time doing that ourselves.
Having done all that, I don't speak the language used on your form so took a guess and clicked Salir button. The database closed without error. I tested several times.
The button code is forcing a save before quitting.
Tried changing a record from another form then quitting. No error.

As I can't replicate your problem, I'm unable to assist unless you can provide more info.

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
zelarra821 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 04:28 AM   #8
zelarra821
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
Before you upload a database for us to test, you should remove everything irrelevant to the issue and compact.
You should also remove all the security so we don't have to waste time doing that ourselves.
Having done all that, I don't speak the language used on your form so took a guess and clicked Salir button. The database closed without error. I tested several times.
The button code is forcing a save before quitting.
Tried changing a record from another form then quitting. No error.

As I can't replicate your problem, I'm unable to assist unless you can provide more info.
I have deleted all the data, and it compacts automatically. I do not know what you mean about security.
We are now testing to see if it gives the error, and it does not show it. We have already tried about ten times, and it does not come out.
The only thing I've done has been commenting on the errors, and deleting all the data.
I'm going to keep trying, and I keep you informed.
Thank you very much everyone for your answers.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:31 AM   #9
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,464 Times in 3,353 Posts
CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice

Quote:
We have the database in the Dropbox folder, that is, it is synchronized with Dropbox, but it is on our local computer.
that is probably your problem - suggest remove from dropbox so it is not syncing - or are the other db's that error not on dropbox?

Just speculating, I'm not sure whether dropbox would maintain the link when compact/repairing since a new file is created.

Other issues will be if the db is not split - particularly if there are multiple users- you haven't said so would be good to clarify
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJ_London For This Useful Post:
zelarra821 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 05:15 AM   #10
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

Hopefully the screenshot will explain the point I was making

As well as yours, I have just opened 2 others with similar issues
Another was password protected with no password originally supplied!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zelarra821.jpg (65.2 KB, 59 views)

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
zelarra821 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #11
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,266 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

I'm with CJ on this one. The message you are getting suggests that Access is running into an exclusive file lock, which might indeed be due to being synchronized with DropBox operations. And I could easily believe that DropBox is running as Admin.

If this was meant as a way to share the database, DropBox is NOT the answer. So... WHY was this synchronized with DropBox?
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
zelarra821 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
zelarra821
Newly Registered User

The database that I attached is true that it is in Dropbox (on the store's computer). When I have copied it to my computer to work, the folder where I copy it is synchronized with Mega, and it also gives an error. But I do not think this is the problem, because we copied the database out of the Dropbox folder and it still failed.

Moreover, after removing all the data and commenting on the "On Error Resume Next", now it does not give us the problem, whether it is in the Dropbox folder or not.

As for users, we only have one. What happens is that this user is not an administrator. This is a Windows thing, since it does not allow you to become an administrator without making some changes before, which we have not done.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #13
zelarra821
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
Hopefully the screenshot will explain the point I was making

As well as yours, I have just opened 2 others with similar issues
Another was password protected with no password originally supplied!
Ahhh, okay. But you can see that if you enter by pressing Shift.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #14
isladogs
Part time moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelarra821 View Post
Ahhh, okay. But you can see that if you enter by pressing Shift.
Which of course I did and more ... in order to view the code.
All I'm saying is that if you want assistance, don't add unnecessary hurdles to us providing it

Website links:

Colin
zelarra821 (02-16-2019)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: