SQL SERVER 2000 Not listening on TCP/IP (1 Viewer)

darbid

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:48
SQL SERVER 2000 Not listening on TCP/IP(solved)

SQL Server 2000 (DEFAULT instance) refuses to listen on TCP/IP

In the error log i can get it to listen on all other protocols other than TCP IP.

I have disabled and enabled TCP IP in the Network Service Utility and then restarted the server and it does not take effect.

I have read where the port is saved in the registry and it shows 1433.

netstat shows that the server is not listening on any port.

Could anyone help me here?

Last edited:

darbid

Registered User.
Local time
Well I do not have that problem anymore but I cannot really say I know exactly why.

For anyone who stumbles accross this thread, I have searched with google for quite a while for an answer to this problem and did not find one. All threads seems to stop short of a solution. The reason for this might be the same reason that I too can stop this thread. UPDATE

I had SP3 and I updated from the microsoft site the same SP3 again and suddenly the server started to listen in on TCP IP again.

So I would say that doing any update might somehow reset some things or force a change.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:48
Thanks for the update darbid I didn't have anything to offer by way of advice but I did subscribe to the link because I was interested in the problem. I thought you should know that At least one person was taking an interest in your problem.

wishing you a happy new year.

Cheers Tony

darbid

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Tony, you too. I feel encouraged to write a little more so that maybe I can save people time. I am dealing with a pretty old server SQL SERVER 2000. Whilst I do not know if this all could apply to 2005 /2008 I did read a thousand times that in 2005/2008 you have to manually turn on TCP IP.

Most likely you are dealing with the following message
sql server 2000 server does not exist or access denied
or more specifically something like this...
Connection failed.
SQL State: '01000' SQL
Server Error: 10061 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets] ConnectionOpen (Connect())
Connection failed:
SQLState: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets] SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
This problem is going to give you many many hits from Google, but as was my problem it seems that your first task is to really find out exactly what your problem is. For the experts here this might be kindergarten again but for me learning the following tests helped me to understand what the problem really was.

From your remote computer

can you ping the server eg open cmd and type ping <the name or ip address of the server> eg
Code:
ping 192.168.178.24
secondly can you telnet to your server. With cmd type telnet <ipaddress> <serverport> eg
Code:
telnet 192.168.178.24 1433
- here you should get an empty black screen.

if either of these fail then you have something to start with.

first check what firewalls are running on the server computer.
second you can on the server computer in cmd type
Code:
netstat -an
this shows you the ports that the computer is listening on.

Here if you have a default instance of sql server then the port should be 1433 if it is a named instance sql automatically assigns a port.

There are a number of places where you can check this.

First use your Server Network Utility and make sure that you have TCP IP enabled. I have read something from microsoft that I cannot find anymore that says there are small bugs here and you should actually click on the properties of TCP IP and view the port and then click ok. Secondly you should have more than TCP IP enabled.

From enterprise manager if you right click your server and go to properties, on the general tab at the bottom there is a network configuration bar which will show you the same thing.

In Enterprise Manager under Management there are the logs. Here you should see this in the last log
SQL server listening on 192.168.0.113: 1433.
SQL server listening on 127.0.0.1: 1433.
SQL server listening on TCP, Shared Memory, Named Pipes.
SQL Server is ready for client connections
In my initial problem I just saw "SQL server listening on Shared Memory, Named Pipes."

You can also find it recorded in the registry for a named instance
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\[InstanceName]\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp\TcpPort
for the default instance
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp\TcpPort
I think that is pretty much all i learnt/found out about this. In my case it did not matter what I did, my log would not change. So even though I had SQL SERVER 2000 SP3 I updated to SQL SERVER 2000 SP3 SP3 and it fixed the problem. I could I suppose update to SP4 but I do not want to.

You should know and read this if you are on XP (old versions)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=841249
Other microsoft reading "Potential causes of the "SQL Server does not exist or access denied" error message"http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328306
"How to Troubleshoot Basic TCP/IP Problems"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169790/
"How to manually enable TCP/IP on Windows XP Service Pack 2 for SQL Server 2000"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841252/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom