update query on click not working (1 Viewer)

HimAgain

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:35
I am having trouble running a query with vba. I can click the query on the left had side and it works perfectly. But when i try to run the query using a button on a form it does not work and gives the error "Object variable or With block variable not set".

more detail of the form
What i have is a multiple items form that loads of a date range query. On that form users place a check mark next to each record they want the query to affect and then type in an unbound text box what they want update the records with. Again, i can open the form, make my selections, type in my change into the unbound box, and run the query by clicking on it on the left just fine. I just cant seem to get the button to work.

Below is the SQL view of the query i am attempting to run and below that is the vba code i am using to execute the query.

Can anyone please tell me what i am doing wrong and how to fix it?

Code:
UPDATE [C&D data] SET [C&D data].[Rel By] = [Forms]![CD_relinquish_qry_frm]![relby]
WHERE ((([C&D data].update)=True));

Code:
Private Sub updatetbl_btn_Click()
Dim dbs As DAO.Database, strupdate As String

strupdate = "UPDATE [C&D data] SET [C&D data].[Rel By] = [Forms]![CD_relinquish_qry_frm]![relby] " & vbCrLf & _
"WHERE ((([C&D data].update)=True));"

dbs.Execute strupdate

End Sub

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:35
Code:
strupdate = "UPDATE [C&D data] SET [C&D data].[Rel By] = [Forms]![CD_relinquish_qry_frm]![relby] " & vbCrLf & _
what you are trying to do with this code is update the Relby field with a value '[Forms..." when what you actually want is the value in that field

you also don't need the vbcrlf and using characters in a field or table name such as & will cause you grief down the line with inexplicable errors - field and table names should only consist of letters and numbers, no spaces or other characters expect a _ if you really must

assuming the value is a number, try

Code:
strupdate = "UPDATE [C&D data] SET [C&D data].[Rel By] =" &  [Forms]![CD_relinquish_qry_frm]![relby] & " WHERE ((([C&D data].update)=True));"
if it is text

Code:
strupdate = "UPDATE [C&D data] SET [C&D data].[Rel By] ='" &  [Forms]![CD_relinquish_qry_frm]![relby] & "' WHERE ((([C&D data].update)=True));"

HimAgain

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the reply. Yeah i figured out using symbols in table names and such was a bad idea and plan on changing it soon.

I tried your code out but it still gives me the same error "Object variable or With block variable not set".
oh and it is text. After i get it working i'm going to add another text field to edit and a date field. figured i would take it one step at a time though.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:35
Put a stop on the execute statement and print out the string. If you do't see the error, copy the string to the query window and run it from there. Usually you'll get better error messages.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 13:35
You need to set the dbs variable, (you've declared it but not set it to anything).

Code:
Set dbs = CurrentDb

HimAgain

Registered User.
Local time
You need to set the dbs variable, (you've declared it but not set it to anything).

Code:
Set dbs = CurrentDb

That fixed it. Thank you everyone that helped.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 04:35
If you have a saved query that already functions correctly, you don't have to re-construct that SQL in VBA, you can just run your saved query. Consider code like...
Code:
    CurrentDb.QueryDefs("YourSavedQueryName").Execute
End Sub
hth
Mark

HimAgain

Registered User.
Local time
If you have a saved query that already functions correctly, you don't have to re-construct that SQL in VBA, you can just run your saved query. Consider code like...
Code:
    CurrentDb.QueryDefs("YourSavedQueryName").Execute
End Sub
hth
Mark

That's what i was going to end up doing if i couldn't get this to work, but this was just one of those things i was banging my head against the wall to figure out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom