can't save, locked (1 Viewer)

D

debbied

Have a recurring problem with 97 db.

db is set to be shared (is not exclusive). Record lock feature is set to NO LOCKS. Security is not in place for any users (security handled from be). Db is compacted regularly.

Problem is that I cannot save changes made to any forms when other users are in the db without receiving message string cannot save, currently locked by user so-and-so, out of memory. I am NOT modifying forms that other users currently have open. The message appears simply b/c they have the same db open.

seems this is happening more frequently now that db has been moved to XP platform (but maybe my imagination).

I have read bunches of out of memory articles, but none seem to be of much help.

has anyone successfully worked around this? (without shutting all users down whenever minor form revisions are needed.... think of the overtime!).

thanks

Benny Wong

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:11
Hello debbied,
I'm a beginning programmer myself but here are some suggestion that might help:
1. Backup the database before attempting the following:
2. Since the users are running in Access XP, then it would be better to upgrade the Access 97 database to Access XP just to be eliminate incompatiblities issues.
3. Make sure the database is in two components: The data entry forms, queries, reports, etc. should be the "front-end" for the user to do their work while the table itself should be on the "back-end" by itself on the server. I put the front-end and the back-end on the server and have the user use a short-cut to the front-end to run the database. The advantage of this is when the user is using the front-end, you can do development work on the front-end and when you are done you can save the front-end and the next time the user logs on the new features are there.
4. I normally create a special directory where I can store and update the front-end forms by compacting and zipping and have a readme.txt file where I describe my development progress and process of the front-end. If a problem arises I can revert back to an older version that works and also have a master backup of the front-ends that works. The readme.txt file really helps because it helps me stay focus on what I want to accomplish in the development process and version control of what has been developed.
5. To determine who is locking up the database you can view the user who last connected to the database by using notepad to view the database name but the xxx.ldb file. You then can verify if the user has logged off. I often find the user just turn off the computer after comleting their work in the late afternoon which causes problem by not exiting Access gracefully.
I hope this helps you on your problem. Have a great day!

Benny Wong

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:11
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! modify objects while other users have the db open. It is a sure road to disaster and the most common cause of db corruption. ALWAYS work on an off-line copy of the fe. If you need to update the db during work hours, have the users shut down for a couple of minutes while you replace the fe with a new copy.

If your db has not yet been split into an fe and be, there's no time like the present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom