DAO or ADO for MS SQL Server With Access 2007 (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 08:51
Most everything that I have read promotes the use of DAO as the native Access application. Now, in re-reading portions of "Access 2007 Inside/Out" by Viescas & Conrad I ran across a statement that suggested the use of ADO where Access is used as the front-end to a back-end server, such as MS SQL Server.

Any thoughts on this?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I never made the switch to ADO since I never had any problems with using DAO even against large ODBC tables. It looks like MS has come back around to recommending DAO rather than ADO so use what you are comfortable with. Try to modularize the code so if you want to switch later, you're not changing one line here and another over there.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:51
It looks like MS has come back around to recommending DAO rather than ADO

Microsoft did the same with OLEDB versus ODBC. They pushed OLEDB for a while and then advised they would be dropping from SQL Server Native Client after 2012.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Thanks!!! I've been using DAO and getting ever more comfortable with it. I've had no problems with it on the MS SQL Server. "Access 2007 Inside/Out", as well as some other articles, went into a discussion of MS's flip-flop on DAO versus ADO. I'll stick with DAO.

dsigner1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:51
A thought to add to this.
MS are incapable of making decisions so both ADO and DAO are likely to run on and on. Since they are quite different you will most likely find that you need the other one sooner or later. in any event I would suggest explicit definitions
e.g Dim Db As DAO.Database

This will pay off sooner or later and it is not much work once you get used to it.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Correct. Already being done. Furthermore, these recordsets are defined in a global variable module to keep them "alive" while the database is open since they are utilized by multiple forms.

Code:
Rem Global DAO Recordsets -----------
Public InspectionsRS As DAO.Recordset
Public BuildFilterRS As DAO.Recordset
Public BuildComboBoxRS As DAO.Recordset

Thanks for the additional thoughts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom