[Solved] Array as Parameter and Source to Update Another Recordset (1 Viewer)

bigtimmystyle

Local time
Yesterday, 19:00
I need some help with the commented out parts of the following code. I have searched high and low for a complete solution, but, can only find parts and cant seem to frankenstein it together.

Code:
Dim rstSource As DAO.Recordset
Dim rstTarget As DAO.Recordset
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim strLines() As String
Dim strLine As String
Dim i As Long

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

Set dbs = CurrentDb

Set rstSource = dbs.OpenRecordset("SELECT QuestionID, Type FROM MyQuestions", dbOpenDynaset)

Set rstTarget = dbs.OpenRecordset("SELECT QuestionID, Type FROM MyAnswers WHERE QuestionID Not Like '*'", dbOpenDynaset)

Do While Not rstSrc.EOF

strLines = rstSource!QuestionID 'this is what I want to edit/update into the target recordset, but
      ' I also need the value for each row of this array's "Type" for evaluating/comparing to choose the approriate
      ' record to insert it into rstTarget

For i = 0 To UBound(strLines)
      ' strLine = strLines(i) 'not sure if this is necessary as QuestionID is a number
      ' if above is not necessary, next line should say strLines, if not, should say strLine

If strLines <> "" Then

' need to somehow open up rstTarget to evaluate/edit each record and compare it's "Type" value
      ' to the value captured in strLines: "Type"
      ' where they match, it needs to update the first three consecutive ones with strLines array's current
      ' QuestionID value into rstTarget!QuestionID
      ' then move onto next strLines and onto the next record not edited/updated in rstTarget
      ' and do the same until the whole table is updated

' I need help with the commented out parts and any bits that need to change above it to make this work
' end result will be three of each QuestionID being added into blank QuestionID field in rstTarget
' where the "Type" value of rstStrines matched rstTarget "Type"

' the records in each table are populated in random order by append queries/deleted by delete queries
' this is used for temporary tables that get wiped out after each test, so, that is why I am 
' doing it this way. The link between both tables is QuestionID. After this works, the table records are linked
' on each QuestionID. This avoids having to sit down and manually type each quesiton/four answers manually
' and the data never changes. Random tests keep up the learning experience.
Thanks for any assistance given.

Tim

bigtimmystyle

Local time
Yesterday, 19:00
Re: Array as Parameter and Source to Update Another Recordset

Solved it.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom