Extracting varying length string between two characters (1 Viewer)

DaniLucas

Local time
Today, 00:26
Hi. I know I've done this before, but for the life of me, can't remember how. I need to be able to extract a string that will vary in length, that will always be between to characters. For example, these are document names:

02-20-00-AI-0035
02-2006-00-HG-0137
02-21-00-JW-1001
04-2115-01-AI-1013

I only need the portions (highlighted in red text) that will always be between the first and second "-" character. This portion of the document name is the "skid number". I need to be able to extract just the skid number from the document name.

If this can be done in an expression written into the design view of a query, that would be most ideal as I am not great with VBA at all.

Thank you!!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:26
Hi. Assuming the skid number always starts at the 4th character, then maybe you could try something like this:
Code:
Mid([FieldName],4,InStr(Mid([FieldName],4),"-")-1)
(untested)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 05:26
How about using Split?
tt="02-2006-00-HG-0137"
? split(tt,"-") (1)

I'd write a simple function to return the value.

DaniLucas

Local time
Today, 00:26
Thank you all! TheDBGuy, your solution seems to work well. I am not sure if they'll ever change the first bit of the document name to be more than two characters in the future, but for now, it always starts with two characters before the first "-". Would there be a way to do this if they did change it, however?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:26
Thank you all! TheDBGuy, your solution seems to work well. I am not sure if they'll ever change the first bit of the document name to be more than two characters in the future, but for now, it always starts with two characters before the first "-". Would there be a way to do this if they did change it, however?
Yes, we can use the initial "-" I suppose. One way to do it is by using the Split() function like Gasman suggested earlier, but it will require some VBA code.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 05:26
Yes, use the Split function. As long as they do not move the locations of the skid number you should be OK.
In fact the function could also take the relevant part position, delimiter so it would just be changing the part number index number.

Code:
Function fnSkidNumber(strPart As String, strDelim As String, iIndex As Integer)
Dim strSplitArray() As String

strSplitArray = Split(strPart, strDelim)
fnSkidNumber = strSplitArray(iIndex)

End Function

Code:
? fnSkidNumber("02-2006-00-HG-0137","-",1)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom