combo box on tabs (1 Viewer)

Danny

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:28
Greetings,

I'm supporting an a 2016 access db that was designed by someone else. The requirement is for me to add a new drop down field with in a tab in the form. The name of the tab is pgeFinancial and the drop down field I attempted to create is called disposition with items like guilty, not guilty etc.
When I drag drop down to the area I want the field to appear in pgeFinancial, the wizard doesn't appear. As a result, I can not enter the drop down items. Can you please advise what I'm doing wrong?

TIA

Regards,

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 18:28
I never rely on wizards. Install combobox on tab control page and manually set properties.

Danny

Registered User.
Local time
June 7, thanks!

can you please guide me on how this is done i.e manually set properties?

TIA

Regards,

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:28
Hi Danny. Did you check if it was turned on?

Attachments

• wizard.PNG
    wizard.PNG
    39.8 KB · Views: 378

Danny

Registered User.
Local time
Hi the DBguy,
When I drag the drop down to a form, the wizard appears. But, when I drag it where I want it to be (on a tab), the wizard doesn't show. I take it's turned on.

TIA

Regards,

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi the DBguy,
When I drag the drop down to a form, the wizard appears. But, when I drag it where I want it to be (on a tab), the wizard doesn't show. I take it's turned on.

TIA

Regards,
I'll have to check that out. But if you can use the Wizard when dragging on to the form, then do it like that for now. Once you're done, you can "cut and paste" it to the Tab control.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 03:28
You should never drag items onto a tabbed control as they will 'bleed through' and appear on each tab. Instead click the combo on the ribbon then draw out the shape on the tab to create it. I've checked and if you use wizards they will appear automatically when you do the above.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Have you not ever explored the Properties Sheet?

The wizard opened up for me when I placed combobox control on tab page.
1. click tab 2. click combobox 3. click on tab page

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
June
Was your last reply directed at the OP or at me?
If at myself, then of course I use the Properties sheet

Your description of placing the combo was exactly the same method as mine but just using different words.

Danny

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I actually did exactly what was suggested: I first clicked the tab where I want the drop down to appear, I clicked combo box and placed it in the tab, still the wizard didn’t appear.
I then used theDBguy’s suggestion: I created the combo box onto a form then cut and paste it to the tab control which seems to work. The only question I’ve is that how to associate this newly created field in my table. i.e. do I create my field ‘Disposition’ in the table first and in the wizard I select store the value in this field option, or do I select Remember the value for later use option?

TIA

Regards,

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The only question I’ve is that how to associate this newly created field in my table. i.e. do I create my field ‘Disposition’ in the table first and in the wizard I select store the value in this field option, or do I select Remember the value for later use option?
Try selecting the field from the Wizard...

Danny

Registered User.
Local time
The field I created doesn’t show in the wizard. This is because I created the combo box in a form and cut/paste onto the tab control.

TIA

Regards,

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The field I created doesn’t show in the wizard. This is because I created the combo box in a form and cut/paste onto the tab control.

TIA

Regards,
Hi. Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me. Is the main form bound or unbound? If unbound, what is in the tab page? A subform?

Danny

Registered User.
Local time
The main form is unbound. The tab page is a subform (frmFinancial). I tried creating the combo box onto frmFinancial, this time the wizard appeared. But, now the financial tab becomes blank.

TIA

Regard,

Danny

Registered User.
Local time
I created the combo box onto frmFinancial which is a subform. I was able to access the wizard when creating combo box. I verified the table is updating my test values, and everything seems to work fine now.
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Regards,

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I created the combo box onto frmFinancial which is a subform. I was able to access the wizard when creating combo box. I verified the table is updating my test values, and everything seems to work fine now.
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Regards,
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project. For future reference, you might want to examine all the properties of your new combo, so maybe in the future, you won't have to rely on the Wizard to create them. Cheers!

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
@isladogs, my previous comment was intended for OP in response to post 3. Notice that our posts were only 1 minute apart - I had not seen yours.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks June. Forgot to look at the post times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom