Missing Data (1 Viewer)

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:25
Hi all,

I have a DB with multiple tables. One table has approximately 4000 record. other one has approximately 50 000 record. The one with 4000 record has been cleared of all data for some reason. no one has access to this DB as yet. any explanation why this is happening? have not had this issue since I started designing this DB. I did a restore from backup yesterday and after that the Table cleared again for a second time. it is a split DB

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:25
In general, if the database loses records but yet doesn't report itself to be corrupted, it means you did this or are doing this to yourself or have allowed someone else to do it. Access doesn't just lose data like that. It usually needs help to lose data cleanly.

Is there a query or macro that you might have used to prepare the table? And (since it is split) are you sure nobody else can get into it yet?

Gismo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:25
It is on a network drive with access to only myself at this stage so no access to users has been granted. i dont have a delete query to this table either so not sure how this happened

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 15:25
Have you tried to restore the backup again?
If it still delete all the data, then try to restore it on the local drive.
It could be a bad network connection, but that is difficult to find out.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:25
It is extremely rare to lose data due to a bad network connection and yet not get an error message and/or some evidence of corruption. I.e. Access itself will tell you that this DB is corrupted. That is why I asked my question about a potential DELETE query. Do you have a DELETE query created in VBA via string concatenation? Do you have a JOIN query that involves this table and potentially would delete records? This just doesn't happen unless something is making it happen intentionally.

This might be a situation where you would want to consider a data macro for the After Delete event.

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...le-event-f77ef125-7786-4c86-8933-7f284873dd8f

http://sourcedaddy.com/ms-access/uses-data-macros.html

This would tell you that an explicit DELETE operation occurred (as opposed to a loss through corruption.) After that, you still have to find it, but at least you know what you seek. You might wish to create a data macro that does a RunCode from some general module and put a breakpoint in the code. When it breaks, you can check the stack to see from where the event originated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom