appending a single entry (1 Viewer)

Elie00

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:47
Hello everyone,

The database i'm creating is for my sent and received quotations sent (me being the middle man).

I created all the tables and forms I need for this, I would like to add an append query that would let me add a single entry from the "Quotation Requests Received" table to the "jobs" table, the append query would add all the table to the other, while i want it to add a single entry.

I understand it should be a button with an on click event procedure.

Bottom line, i want a a query that would let me add a single entry from one table to another :p

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:47
This sounds very inefficient, you shouldn't duplicate entire data sets in this way.

Why not have a status field in your data to indicate Sent, Received, then maybe a DateAgreed ? Then you only need to store the data once and can run queries on one table to get most of your results.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:47
instead of adding to another table why not add another field for quotation status or some sort.

Elie00

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:47
Hey Minty,

I do not wish to duplicate the entire data set, just the ones that were accepted.
I want them separate and accepted quotes to be moved to the table "Jobs" since there will be another set of fields needed in the "jobs" table.

In any case, if it's difficult i will add a field for accepted or not and get it done.

This sounds very inefficient, you shouldn't duplicate entire data sets in this way.

Why not have a status field in your data to indicate Sent, Received, then maybe a DateAgreed ? Then you only need to store the data once and can run queries on one table to get most of your results.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:47
If you must have a seperate table for the job details, then simply create a new record and save the quote ID in to it and you can then link the quote data to the job data, without having to copy it over.

Assuming you have unique QuoteID, a simple append query will do this. Create a new query, call it something like qryNewJob. In the query you can reference the form that the button is on using the syntax

Forms!YourFormName!YourControlName

Where the control with the quoteID would be used to populate the value of the new JobRecord. Add a button to the form to run the query.
Have a play with it and if you can't get it to work post back with your code, and any errors you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom