Report Layout order (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:20
I have a report from a query. I have sorted the query to provide the data to the report in the order that I would like, but the report does not appear to take any notice of the order.

For the report I have grouped by Name, and then sorted by Date, however the groups are correct, but where I have null dates, I would expect them to appear first and then dates with values in the correct order?

However I get null dates, then a few records with a date and then another record with a null date, all for the same group.?

I can understand the facility to order/sort the report in a different way to the supplying query if that query is used in multiple places, but is there a way to get the report to adhere to the data order presented to it, or what have I missed out to get the report as I would like?

TIA

Attachments

• Report order.PNG
    Report order.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 102

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Report sorting and grouping overrides any underlying data sorting.
So you need to apply a sort order at all points in your report including the detail section

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Sorry Minty, you have me confused now.:confused:

I *thought* the grouping/order applied to the whole report. That you had to get the correct sequence for the detail band and any totals/counts to work correctly?

As you can see from my previous picture, there is only a group and sort, yet I get the attached. I've just checked and all the date fields either have a valid date or are null.

Report sorting and grouping overrides any underlying data sorting.
So you need to apply a sort order at all points in your report including the detail section

Attachments

• Report order result.PNG
    Report order result.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 98

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As you can see from my previous picture, there is only a group and sort, yet I get the attached. I've just checked and all the date fields either have a valid date or are null.

1. Have you set any fields with Hide Duplicates = Yes?
2. Click the More buttons in the sorting and grouping in case anything unintended is 'lurking' in the settings there

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Hi Colin,
No, no Hide Duplicates. It is just a basic report at present. I wanted the functionality working first, then I might make it look prettier.
Nothing obvious in the More section of both levels.

I've also checked the data and where the date is blank on the report is definitely a null value.

For this report it is not essential, but would be nice to have it and lay the groundwork for other reports that might need that presentation.

Just created a quick report with Report Wizard and it's the same.:banghead:

1. Have you set any fields with Hide Duplicates = Yes?
2. Click the More buttons in the sorting and grouping in case anything unintended is 'lurking' in the settings there

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you post up a sample DB ?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Sorry guys.
This idiot was using the wrong Invoice date.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread