Updating the row source of a combo box (1 Viewer)

MarcusL

Local time
Today, 08:27
Hi

I have a combo box field in a table (row source type: value list). I have added some extra options to the row source (in the table), but the options are not present when I click the dropdown for that field in a form.

Is there a way to have the forms automatically update their value list to reflect what is in the table? The field is present in a few different forms so it would be useful if they could all draw their row sources from the table. Thanks in advance!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Don't use a value list for your combo as that will not update unless you do so manually
Use table/query as your option and select the required table & fields as the row source

MarcusL

Local time
Thanks ridders. So would you recommend a separate table for each combo box in my db, each table containing the options for that combo box?

And if I do this, would I still need to update all my forms to tell them to draw their combo box options from the new tables, rather than the value lists that they currently use?

What is the point in defining a value list in the table if the important thing is the value list in the form?

Thanks again!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks ridders. So would you recommend a separate table for each combo box in my db, each table containing the options for that combo box?

And if I do this, would I still need to update all my forms to tell them to draw their combo box options from the new tables, rather than the value lists that they currently use?

What is the point in defining a value list in the table if the important thing is the value list in the form?

Thanks again!

Each table in your database should store one type of data e.g. Customers, Products, Countries.

If you use a value list and it's never going to change that's fine.
However it won't be dynamic. So each time you add or remove a product, the value list won't be updated but using the table/query in your combo will update automatically.

I don't understand what you mean in your last sentence. Tables don't have value lists. If you meant table level lookup fields, those are a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom