Adding items from one listbox to another listbox (1 Viewer)

Finance

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:31
Hi!
I want to add items from one listbox to another listbox.

I have tried this code but the code is throwing an error. Can someone please help. thanks a lot!

Code:
Private Sub cmdAddOne_Click()
    ListYesItems.AddItem ListNOFLE.ItemsSelected

ListNOFLE.RemoveItem ListNOFLE.ListIndex
End Sub

Finance

Registered User.
Local time

I tried the code on the attached database but the list box from where I am picking up values i.e ListNOFLE is a cascading list box and has a row source assigned from another listbox called ListCountry. I want to keep the structure of ListNOFLE intact and only add the end results after the cascade to ListYesItems.

This is the code :
Code:
Option Compare Database

Private Sub cmdAddAll_Click()
    Call ChangeStatus(0, 2)
    Me.ListNOFLE.SetFocus
    Call ToggleButtons

End Sub

Private Sub cmdAddOne_Click()
    Call ChangeStatus(CLng(Me.ListNOFLE), 1)
    Call ToggleButtons
End Sub

Private Sub CmdApplyFilterLE_Click()
    Dim strCountry As String
    Dim strFilter As String
    Dim varItem As Variant
    Dim strYears As String
    Dim strNOF As String
    Dim strPhase As String

' Check that the report is open
    If SysCmd(acSysCmdGetObjectState, acReport, "CostForecast_LargeEntity") <> acObjStateOpen Then
        MsgBox "You must open the report first."
        Exit Sub
    End If
' Build criteria string for Country list box
    For Each varItem In Me.ListCountry.ItemsSelected
        strCountry = strCountry & ",'" & Me.ListCountry.ItemData(varItem) _
        & "'"
    Next varItem
    If Len(strCountry) = 0 Then
        strCountry = "Like '*'"
    Else
        strCountry = Right(strCountry, Len(strCountry) - 1)
        strCountry = "IN(" & strCountry & ")"
    End If

'Build criteria string from lstyears listbox
    For Each varItem In Me.ListYearsLE.ItemsSelected
        strYears = strYears & ",'" & Me.ListYearsLE.ItemData(varItem) _
        & "'"
    Next varItem
    If Len(strYears) = 0 Then
        strYears = "Like '*'"
    Else
        strYears = Right(strYears, Len(strYears) - 1)
        strYears = "IN(" & strYears & ")"
    End If

'Build criteria string from lstphases listbox
    For Each varItem In Me.ListPhasesLE.ItemsSelected
        strPhase = strPhase & ",'" & Me.ListPhasesLE.ItemData(varItem) _
        & "'"
    Next varItem
    If Len(strPhase) = 0 Then
        strPhase = "Like '*'"
    Else
        strPhase = Right(strPhase, Len(strPhase) - 1)
        strPhase = "IN(" & strPhase & ")"
    End If

'Build criteria string from lstNatureOfFees listbox
    For Each varItem In Me.ListNOFLE.ItemsSelected
        strNOF = strNOF & ",'" & Me.ListNOFLE.ItemData(varItem) _
        & "'"
    Next varItem
    If Len(strNOF) = 0 Then
        strNOF = "Like '*'"
    Else
        strNOF = Right(strNOF, Len(strNOF) - 1)
        strNOF = "IN(" & strNOF & ")"
    End If
' Combine criteria strings into a WHERE clause for the filter
    strFilter = "[Country] " & strCountry & " AND [Years_Word] " & strYears & "AND [Nature_of_Fees] " & strNOF & _
    "AND [Phase _of_Fees] " & strPhase

' Apply the filter and switch it on
    With Reports![CostForecast_LargeEntity]
        .Filter = strFilter
        .FilterOn = True
    End With
End Sub

Private Sub cmdRemoveAll_Click()
    Call ChangeStatus(0, 4)
    Me.ListNOFLE.SetFocus
    Call ToggleButtons
End Sub

Private Sub CMdRemoveFilterLE_Click()
    On Error Resume Next
' Switch the filter off
    Reports![CostForecast_LargeEntity].FilterOn = False
End Sub

Private Sub cmdRemoveOne_Click()
    If IsNull(Me.ListYesItems) Then
        MsgBox "You must select an item to move first.", vbExclamation + vbOKOnly, "No selection made"
        Exit Sub
    End If

Call ChangeStatus(CLng(Me.ListYesItems), 3)
    Call ToggleButtons
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Me.ListYesItems.RowSource = Me.ListYesItems.Tag
    Call ToggleButtons

End Sub

Private Sub ListCountry_AfterUpdate()
    Dim varItem As Variant
    Dim strSql As String

If Me.ListCountry.ItemsSelected.Count Then
        strSql = "Select ID_Number, Nature_of_Fees from TotalCostsLargeEntity where [Country] in ('"
            strSql = strSql & Me.ListCountry.ItemData(varItem) & "','"
        Next varItem
        strSql = Left(strSql, Len(strSql) - 2) & ") ORDER BY ID_Number"
    Else
        strSql = "Select ID_Number, Nature_of_Fees from TotalCostsLargeEntity ORDER BY ID_Number"
    End If

Me.ListNOFLE.RowSource = strSql
End Sub

Sub ToggleButtons()
On Error Resume Next
If Me.ListYesItems.ListCount = 0 Then
    Me.ListNOFLE.SetFocus
End If
If Me.ListNOFLE.ListCount = 0 Then
    Me.ListYesItems.SetFocus
End If

Me.cmdAddOne.Enabled = False
    Me.cmdAddAll.Enabled = False
    Me.cmdRemoveOne.Enabled = False
    Me.cmdRemoveAll.Enabled = False

If Me.ListYesItems.ListCount > 0 Then
    Me.cmdRemoveOne.Enabled = True
    Me.cmdRemoveAll.Enabled = True
End If

If Me.ListNOFLE.ListCount > 0 Then
    Me.cmdAddOne.Enabled = True
    Me.cmdAddAll.Enabled = True
End If

End Sub

I need to change the instructions on the Form load I guess. Please help!

Last edited:

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 15:31
I use these type of controls often. I have two listboxes and want to move things from one to another. I call this a From To List. Unfortunately, unlike other languages you cannot build your own user controls. In something like .net you could lump a few controls together and add custom properties, methods, and events and reuse it as a user control. In access the closest is to save it as a subform. So I built a form that has all of these controls and I reuse it all the time. I just have to pass in the sql for the left listbox (from list) and potentially the right listbox (the To list). All of the code for moving is in the subform, and there should be no need ever to modify that code. You can reformat the controls as needed. Then you can choose to do something whenever something moves from list to list, or you can wait till the end and get the list of things in the From list and To List. What you do with that information, has nothing to do with this code. Could be an update query, insert query, print command, etc.

I have two identical examples for Selecting Employees. One does something whenever an employee moves from list to list, the other only does something at the end. Again this is completely agnostic and has nothing to do with the subform controls. The subform simply allows you to move anything between two lists and tells you what got moved or what is in the list.

So here is an example doing something at the end. And that is basically all the code needed to reuse this.

Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit
Public WithEvents FormFromTo As Form_FromToList

Private Sub cmdOk_Click()
  UpdateTableData
  DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
  Set FormFromTo = Me.frmFromToList.Form
  Dim FromSql As String
  Dim ToSql As String
  'Establish starting list.  You may have nothing in the To list
  FromSql = "SELECT ID, [Last Name] & ', ' & [First Name] AS FullName FROM Employees Where ID Not in (Select SelectedEmployeeID from TblSelectedEmployees) ORDER BY [Last Name]"
  ToSql = "SELECT ID, [Last Name] & ', ' & [First Name] AS FullName FROM Employees Where ID in (Select SelectedEmployeeID from TblSelectedEmployees) ORDER BY [Last Name]"
  'Initialize the Class
  FormFromTo.FTL_InitializeFromTo FromSql, ToSql, "Employees Not Selected", "Employees Selected"
End Sub

Private Sub cmdApply_Click()
   UpdateTableData
End Sub

Public Sub UpdateTableData()
  Dim EmpIDs As Collection
  Dim EmpID As Long
  Dim I As Integer
  Dim strSql As String

Set EmpIDs = FormFromTo.FromItems
  'If it is in the From box it is not selected so update the table
  For I = 1 To EmpIDs.Count
    strSql = "Delete * from tblSelectedEmployees where SelectedemployeeID = " & EmpIDs(I)
    CurrentDb.Execute strSql
  Next I
  'If it is in the to box it is selected so update the table
  Set EmpIDs = FormFromTo.ToItems
    strSql = "Insert into tblSelectedEmployees (SelectedEmployeeID) Values (" & EmpIDs(I) & ")"
    CurrentDb.Execute strSql
  Next I
  Me.subfrmSelectedEmployees.Requery
End Sub

The point is to write once and reuse whenever. If you do not want to use as a subform control, you could break it apart and reuse the code. However, that kind of defeats the point.

Attachments

• FromToList Generic SingleSelect v2.accdb
    948 KB · Views: 235

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 15:31
If you do not want to use this generic version look how I built the property to return a list of PKs from the From list and To list.

Finance

Registered User.
Local time
I use these type of controls often. I have two listboxes and want to move things from one to another. I call this a From To List. Unfortunately, unlike other languages you cannot build your own user controls. In something like .net you could lump a few controls together and add custom properties, methods, and events and reuse it as a user control. In access the closest is to save it as a subform. So I built a form that has all of these controls and I reuse it all the time. I just have to pass in the sql for the left listbox (from list) and potentially the right listbox (the To list). All of the code for moving is in the subform, and there should be no need ever to modify that code. You can reformat the controls as needed. Then you can choose to do something whenever something moves from list to list, or you can wait till the end and get the list of things in the From list and To List. What you do with that information, has nothing to do with this code. Could be an update query, insert query, print command, etc.

I have two identical examples for Selecting Employees. One does something whenever an employee moves from list to list, the other only does something at the end. Again this is completely agnostic and has nothing to do with the subform controls. The subform simply allows you to move anything between two lists and tells you what got moved or what is in the list.

So here is an example doing something at the end. And that is basically all the code needed to reuse this.

Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

UpdateTableData
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
  Dim FromSql As String
  Dim ToSql As String
  FromSql = "SELECT ID, [Last Name] & ', ' & [First Name] AS FullName FROM Employees Where ID Not in (Select SelectedEmployeeID from TblSelectedEmployees) ORDER BY [Last Name]"
  ToSql = "SELECT ID, [Last Name] & ', ' & [First Name] AS FullName FROM Employees Where ID in (Select SelectedEmployeeID from TblSelectedEmployees) ORDER BY [Last Name]"
  'Initialize the Class
  FormFromTo.FTL_InitializeFromTo FromSql, ToSql, "Employees Not Selected", "Employees Selected"
End Sub

UpdateTableData
End Sub

Dim EmpIDs As Collection
  Dim EmpID As Long
  Dim I As Integer
  Dim strSql As String

strSql = "Delete * from tblSelectedEmployees where SelectedemployeeID = " & EmpIDs(I)
    CurrentDb.Execute strSql
  Next I
    strSql = "Insert into tblSelectedEmployees (SelectedEmployeeID) Values (" & EmpIDs(I) & ")"
    CurrentDb.Execute strSql
  Next I
End Sub

The point is to write once and reuse whenever. If you do not want to use as a subform control, you could break it apart and reuse the code. However, that kind of defeats the point.

Thanks for the help! One more question, how do I ensure that the entries in the From list box stay Distinct?
I have tried this code to make that happen... but its not working out.
Code:
Private Sub ListCountry_AfterUpdate()
    Dim varItem As Variant
    Dim strSQL As String

If Me.ListCountry.ItemsSelected.Count Then
        strSQL = "Select ID_Number, DISTINCT Nature_of_Fees from TotalCostsLargeEntity where [Country] in ('"
            strSQL = strSQL & Me.ListCountry.ItemData(varItem) & "','"
        Next varItem
        strSQL = Left(strSQL, Len(strSQL) - 2) & ") ORDER BY ID_Number"
    Else
        strSQL = "Select ID_Number, DISTINCT Nature_of_Fees from TotalCostsLargeEntity ORDER BY ID_Number"
    End If

Me.ListNOFLE.RowSource = strSQL
End Sub

Finance

Registered User.
Local time
Never mind. I solved it! I used an idea given by a user on this forum on a previous post!
I created a table with NatureofFeesId foreign key, created an update query and updated the code in the post above to select DISTINCT.

Thank you everyone for all your help!!!

Thanks a lot!

delexy

Local time
Today, 20:31

Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

UpdateTableData
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
  Dim FromSql As String
  Dim ToSql As String
  'Initialize the Class
End Sub

UpdateTableData
End Sub

Dim EmpIDs As Collection
  Dim EmpID As Long
  Dim I As Integer
  Dim strSql As String

CurrentDb.Execute strSql
  Next I
    CurrentDb.Execute strSql
  Next I
End Sub

Thank you so much for sharing this knowledge, I'm new to Microsoft Access and VBA. Just attempted using your steps in my work and it keeps returning user-defined not defined, I have tried gone through all the codes yet the same thing, when I now copied my own form to your application, it worked perfectly. please what can be done to correct this
err.PNG

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:31
add Reference to Microsoft Office XX.X Access database engine Object Library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom