Getting Parameter Value Request when using Navigation but not main form (1 Viewer)

rlreynolds217

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:17
Hello,

I am trying to use a drop down list to get values (which are grouped), then clicking "Preview Report" to view the report based on the values that are selected by the user.

When I try and use the "Preview Report" button from the Navigation form, it comes back with the parameter error, however when I open the form itselt (called "Report Center") and click on the "Preview Report", it brings up the report with no problems.

I don't understand why this is happening when the Report Center is a form on the Main/Navigation page, so essentially it is the same page.

Please Help!!!:(

rlreynolds217

Registered User.
Local time
PBaldy, thanks for your response...

So maybe I can explain this better? I have a NavigationForm(called Main) and a NavigationSubform(called Report Center). There is a combo box on the NavigationSubform(Report Center) that allows the user to select the filter(TPSbyTaskMGR), then a command button(cboTPSbyTaskMgr) that opens a report(rptTPSbyTaskMgr), filtering by the filter(TPSbyTaskMGR).

I am novice, at best, so how would I get the subform to open the report based off of this?

PS...I guess where my confusion lies is where do I try and send the parameter that the user selected to the report...do I modify the command button in the subform, the report record source, or the query????

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:17
Somewhere, either in the macros/code that do the above or the query underlying the report, is a reference to the form that needs to be changed to the subform syntax. Not having seen the db, I can only speculate on where it is, but my first guess would be the query underlying the report.

rlreynolds217

Registered User.
Local time
I think we were typing at the same time...I went in and tried to adjust the query statement. This is what I have in my query right now...

[Forms]![Main]![Report Center].[Form]![cboTPSbyPMS]

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And that doesn't work? With the forms open, open the query in design view and use the Build feature to navigate to the combo via the "Open forms" navigation. See what syntax that provides and see if it works.

rlreynolds217

Registered User.
Local time
Here is the syntax that it comes up with with adding the subform...and I still get the "Enter Parameter Value" box...as I stated, it gives me what I want when I access the form by itself...

[Forms]![Main]![NavigationSubform].[Forms]![Report Center]![cboTPSbyPMS]

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Does it work okay when used within the navigation subform? Using that method, you can only use it one way or the other.

rlreynolds217

Registered User.
Local time
No, it doesn't, which is the problem. It only works when I open the form "Report Center", as a separate entity and not while accessing the NavigationForm "Main".

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
With that in the criteria? Can you post the db here?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In the "Go Advanced" area is a button "Manage Attachments".

rlreynolds217

Registered User.
Local time
PBaldy, I was unable to send the database due to the nature of it, however I was able to fix the problem on two of the three forms that I needed to access. The problem was that I was using the name "Report Center" in the syntax when I needed to use "NavigationSubform". Here is an example of what I had to use in order for it to work, where "Main" is the name of my Navigation Form and "cboTPSbyTaskMGR" is my control.

[Forms]![Main]![NavigationSubform]![cboTPSbyTaskMGR]

The problem I am having now is that the statement works on two of the three forms, however I am trying to use it on my final report and it seems not to be working. My final report has a task code that is linked to the main table and the financial table, and for some reason, it will not let me use the searched field for the code. It asks for the parameter and opens the report blank. The two tables are linked with the main table being the primary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom