Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 11-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Djblois
Newly Registered User

Djblois is on a distinguished road
Speed Over Remote Desktop and SQL

I have an Access Database that I created for users to do special orders. Inside the office it is quite fast but when users go out of the office, on their laptops and using a remote desktop connection, the speed is super slow. I already gave them a copy of the front end on their machines to reduce that load that needs to go over the network - it is faster but still very slow. Now, I was wondering if I switch the backend to SQL server (which we have a license) if that would be a significant difference? This is a big job that if not worth it would be a waste. There are not gigabyte's of data. Should it make it quicker?

Djblois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,678 Times in 1,633 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Speed Over Remote Desktop and SQL

Hi. Unfortunately, simply upgrading the BE to SQL Server doesn't automatically means "better." There are other factors involved. Your FE might be fine with using SQL Server, or it might need to be "optimized" to use SQL Server because it's pretty much stuck with the Access way of doing things. It's had to tell without seeing or knowing anything about the database and how it's used. Just my 2 cents...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,687 Times in 3,551 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with DBG - Access as a db is as 'fast' as SQL server. What matters is the way your db is designed and the speed of the connection.

See this link about optimising the design of your app - all things you would need to do if you moved to SQL server https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=291269

With regards the connection, investigate what bandwidth your remote desktop has available to it - it may be the bandwidth can be improved - at both ends

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,726 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I already gave them a copy of the front end on their machines to reduce that load that needs to go over the network
Not sure how you meant this, but there are interpretations which could indicate that you are setting yourself up for corruption. Can you be a little bit more specific?

As to "speed" questions - the first bit of advice is to look at your tables used for searching and verify that you have indexes on the most commonly used search fields. I.e. if you often do a search on last name, then that field should be indexed. If you often do a search on postal codes, THAT should be indexed.

You don't bother to index things like "gender" (M/F) because that index doesn't filter out much and involves a lot of overhead for little returned value.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #5
Djblois
Newly Registered User

Djblois is on a distinguished road

What do you mean corruptions? I am loading the front end on to their machines while the back end sits on the server. I have already indexed, and gone through 99% of this list http://www.fmsinc.com/tpapers/faster/. I know the issue is mostly the network and speed of the device because the database is quite fast in the office with the Wifi or the wired connection.
Djblois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:11 AM   #6
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,046 Times in 1,008 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

If you are connecting to the data from out of the office, but running the database on a remote PC (ie not on the same LAN) then the performance is unlikely to be acceptable, although it depends to some degree on the functions you are using, and the dbs design - which is what you are seeing, I think.

to get optimum performance, you need to connect by remote desktop to a terminal server, which will be on the same LAN as the data.

Alternatively you could use a SQL Server backend database and host that in the cloud, then connect to that data, which should be usable as long as you have decent speed internet, but that isn't a "free" option.

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,535 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

When using Remote Desktop, each user should be starting a private session on the SERVER. NOTHING should be running on the local PC. You should be getting faster response using RD provided your BE database is on the same server as the RD session than you would get for local users on your LAN.

If you are running a VPN, then responsiveness will be poor with an Access BE but better with SQL Server but ONLY if your Access FE is properly designed to act as a client server FE. Old style Access apps that link to tables and use form filters will be exceptionally slow over a VPN even with SQL Server BE's. The whole point of using SQL Server is to have the server do the heavy lifting and you are not taking advantage of that unless ALL forms are bound to queries that include selection criteria that severely limits the number of rows returned by a form.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:38 AM   #8
sonic8
AWF VIP

sonic8 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djblois View Post
Inside the office it is quite fast but when users go out of the office, on their laptops and using a remote desktop connection, the speed is super slow. I already gave them a copy of the front end on their machines to reduce that load that needs to go over the network - it is faster but still very slow.
Please analyze/clarify:

When using remote desktop, is the application slow or the update of the local screen on the user's computer? - The former would be a problem inside your company network, the latter (most likely) a problem of the external connection.

The frontend on the local machine is on their external computer and connecting to the Access backend on the company's network?
Old 11-26-2019, 05:06 AM   #9
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,726 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Djblois - as you can see, there is some "wiggle room" in your description of how you are set up, and therein lie the questions that we have asked. It could be that you are set up quite well, but the description was ambiguous. Don't take it as criticism of your work; take it as interest in understanding what you did so we can better advise you.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: