Database size (1 Viewer)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 00:39
Is there any way to make a list of the sizes of all objects in a FE?
Current size of the FE shows as 74MB. But I'm sure it was around 38MB several months ago.
FE contains a lot of Forms, Reports & modules. Not even a local table.
I don't remember adding any kind of image or picture to forms.
I'm trying to track which object is causing this change in the size of the DB if it makes any sense.

Any kind of advice is much appreciated.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:39
First question: Have you recently performed a Compact and Repair (C&R) on your FE?

There is a thing called "bloat" that occurs in the FE due to the fact that your primary work space is centered around the FE file. I cannot point to exact documentation for this, but my experience and that of several others on this forum over the years all point to the same conclusion: When you generate a recordset through a query, Access makes a temporary list of the records that matched your criteria. This is a normal sequence of actions for query analysis at execution time. The key word here is "temporary" because it gets dumped later. However, the space used for this temporary list is not reclaimed until you perform the C&R operation. That is because "garbage collection" can only occur during exclusive usage times and isn't EVER run automatically (that I have ever heard.)

You have locally executed queries in your FE because every one of your forms and reports has a recordsource. Even if this is a named & stored querydef (as opposed to an ad-hoc SQL statement), it is a front-end structure so its temporary space stays with the FE. (What happens in the FE stays in the FE?... oh, never mind - that is Las Vegas!)

Therefore, first advice? Compact & Repair to see if you get that space back.

deletedT

Local time
First question: Have you recently performed a Compact and Repair (C&R) on your FE?

Yes, I did. I always do. No change in size.
Sorry for not pointing it out in my main post above.

I Compact and Repair the FE every now and then, But I really didn't understand why it's necessary and why C&R decreases the size of a FE.
Your explanation above answered to a lot of questions I had. Thanks for the hint.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 18:39
Tera,

Look here: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=141161

I am echoing out the property values of each non-system table in an access database there. I would assume that all other objects have the same properties. however, in that FAQ I am *not* echoing the size of the table object, but I assume it is present. maybe as:
Code:
tabledef.size
??? run a test and see.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Adam
Thanks. That's a neat utility you have there but it doesn't actually tell you the disk space occupied by each table which is I think what Tera wants.

Tera
The disk space occupied by queries, forms & reports in minimal
This recent thread in the code repository by vkl will give you the approximate size of each non-system table: Table Size Analysis

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom