theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,636 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Incremental Numbering on a Continuous Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bedborough View Post
Hi DBGuy

I wasn't meaning to be dismissive, sorry if it came accross this way. These forums are very helpful and I'm grateful to anyone who posts a reply. Here is a smiley face to prove it.....

Just trying to go quicker than I should I think.

Bugs only because I didn't read the instructions....whoops. I needed to 'save as' to make it an editable database. It works OK.

I don't really want to have to change each individual item, more a case of making the first item in the list start with the number 10 and then everyone after it being incremental in 10s.

So if I changed list to:
10 Hi
20 Hows things
30 Fine thanks

and added in 25

I then wanted it all to be automated to renumber 10, 20, 30 and 40.

Thanks
Hi. Understood and no worries. Although the demo only increments each record by 1, there's no stopping you from modifying it to make it update the records by 10. On the other hand, if you use this routine in your app, then does it really matter what the increment is, since it will automatically renumber the whole table anyway? Just a thought...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #17
Tim Bedborough
Newly Registered User

Tim Bedborough is on a distinguished road

DBGuy. OK thanks. End of day for me and brain hurts. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can make it do what I want.
Tim Bedborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #18
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
DBGuy. OK thanks. End of day for me and brain hurts. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can make it do what I want.
Okay, good luck. Please let us know how it goes. But also, please consider what I said about the need to modify the code. If you can live with using 1 as the increment, then you won't have to worry about figuring out how to modify the code. Cheers!

|
|
Old 12-10-2019, 01:49 AM   #19
Tim Bedborough
Newly Registered User

Hi DBGuy.

Well I've had a go! Stuck with 1 as increment numbering. The code worked fine. Made the name changes with table and control/field bespoke to my database. Added the module (not had to bother with 'public ' routines but added it OK). Some of the code was beyond anything I've tackled to date but all made sense (once you know how!).

BUT

My fault as I didn't make it clear. I have 1 to many relationship with my to do lists. So I have a number of to do lists (no numbering, just filtered by date) then they have related tables and sub forms to deal with their own numbered lists (lists within lists). Your code works fine if you only have 1 'to do' list. I have loads all held in the same table so my SortOrder (ListNo) may have lots of duplicates. Using your code I have 'to do' lists with only a few items in them but the list number could be e.g. 1, 456, 734, 899 etc rather than 1,2,3,4. It's all sequential (low to high) and in order for every list I have, just not incremental. I've reverted to plan A and sticking with my manual sequential numbering in 10's.

Many thanks for your tip though. It works well for a single list and I learned something too.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #20
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Hi. If you can post a sample copy of your db with test data, we might be able to help you figure it out.

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
Tim Bedborough (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #21
Tim Bedborough
Newly Registered User

Hi DBGuy. Thanks for offer and help so far but I'll quit whilst I'm behind.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #22
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Hi DBGuy. Thanks for offer and help so far but I'll quit whilst I'm behind.
LOL. Maybe next time then. Cheers!

|
|

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: