Record locking and update queries. (1 Viewer)

FrostByte

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:11
Hi,

I have several update queries that run to update various parts of my DB in a multi user environment.

Problem is that when a user is in a record the query wont update that record due to record locking.

Can anyone please help with a work around for this.

Kind Regards

GohDiamond

"Access- Imagineer that!"
Local time
Today, 13:11
First of all that behavior is what RECORD Locking is supposed to do. Prevent simultaneous editing of the same record by multiple actions.
One question would be WHY are 2 people trying to update the same record at the same time? This may be an issue of data and how/where it is stored in the database and what your query is trying to update. When or how often these query driven updates run. Or an issue of data editing responsibility.
What is the exact error that occurs?
What is your record locking options set at?
No Locks
All Records
Edited Record
Open databases using record-level locking

FrostByte

Registered User.
Local time
First of all that behavior is what RECORD Locking is supposed to do. Prevent simultaneous editing of the same record by multiple actions.
One question would be WHY are 2 people trying to update the same record at the same time? This may be an issue of data and how/where it is stored in the database and what your query is trying to update. When or how often these query driven updates run. Or an issue of data editing responsibility.
What is the exact error that occurs?
What is your record locking options set at?
No Locks
All Records
Edited Record
Open databases using record-level locking

Hi Goh,

Sorry, I didn't pass enough info.

I fully understand the function of record locking, but looking for a work around under my circumstances. These being that I have developed a form that a user can build up multiple payment rows (which are saved in a temporary table). Once happy the user can post the payments on mass, which in turn updates various fields in various tables. Issue is, that if users are in records that need an update, record locking (as is should), prevents the update...

I'm wondering if a error report can be produced for records that were locked and not updated or a way to stop (and message) the entire update if error locking is in place.

My current settings are as...

Default Open View = Shared
Record Locking = No Locks

Other Options (which I'm unsure if relevant)...
OLE/DDS timeout = 30
Refresh Interval = 60
Number Update Retries = 2
ODBC Refresh Interval = 1500
Update retry interval = 250

DDE Operations...
Enable DDE refresh

Kind Regards.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Most batch processes are run at night, when no users are on a system?

I think to get the report you are after, you would have to run the query on each record in the batch payments table, one at a time, and record the result.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom