Multiple users (1 Viewer)

HGCanada

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:28
I have a database where 2-4 users will be entering data, via a form. They may be viewing the same records simultaneously, but won't be editing the same fields within those records at the same time.

In the past, we've had multiple copies of the same form feeding data into a single table, and everyone just used a separate copy of that form to enter data.
But at that time, there were only 2 of us, and we generally were not even looking at the same records simultaneously.

Should I add an "edited record" lock?

Ranman256

Local time
as long as you SPLIT your database, you should be fine.
everyone gets their own copy of the frontend.
I never had a conflict, since I never did record locking. (what are the odds right?)

HGCanada

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm off site today and cannot split it for them...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 02:28
Following on from Ranman's comments, as long as the database is SPLIT with each user having their own copy of the frontend, this should work fine with no locks

Even if more than one user is editing the same record on the same form, Access will handle each edit in sequence.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In the past, we've had multiple copies of the same form feeding data into a single table, and everyone just used a separate copy of that form to enter data.
It is the act of sharing the same front end db that causes corruption issues. Having separate forms for each user does not achieve anything other than create more work in maintaining the db.

As others have said, the db should be split with data in the backend on the server and each user having their own copy of the front end on their machine linked to the backend

HGCanada

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks everyone. If I can explain to them remotely how to split it, and make multiple copies of the front end in one network folder with their names on them, would that work? Each person would be using their own copy, but they're all in the same folder. It's challenging to get a copy to their own desktops. I experimented with this a bit from home, and it seemed to work.

Also, under what circumstances would one split a database, vs using an edited record lock?

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks everyone. If I can explain to them remotely how to split it, and make multiple copies of the front end in one network folder with their names on them, would that work? Each person would be using their own copy, but they're all in the same folder. It's challenging to get a copy to their own desktops.

NO! Why do you expect them to play nicely & only use their own named copy?
Do it properly or you may as well not do it at all.

Network staff will know how to distribute the files to individual workstations using a script file

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Also, under what circumstances would one split a database, vs using an edited record lock?
you always split a database and users should always have their own copy of the FE, record locking has nothing to do with it. See this current link as to what can happen when you don't. https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1565965#post1565965

make multiple copies of the front end in one network folder
running a front end across a network is slower than running it from your c drive - and as Colin says way open to abuse.

Think of other office programs, notepad, excel, word, adobe, whatever. You have the app on your local machine and the files on the server. Access is no different in that respect - except you have written the app. And think about it further, if a user opens an excel file, why do you think other users can only open it as readonly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom