Installation Packages (1 Viewer)

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:04
Hi All,

I purchased an install app (installaware) to make my app available for beta testing via the web. I noticed in using this, that when I install the app in the Program Files sub directory on the client's computer (in this case, my secondary computer), the following happens:
1. Everytime the front end is opened, it displays a read only warning and prompts the user to Save As (in one of those dreaded yellow ribbons at the top of the screen)
2. Everytime I try to point the front end to the back end to link the database, it fails due to error 3050, could not lock file.

When I put the documents in the MyDocuments folder, none of this occurs. Do you all know why? In this situation, do you resolve the issue with the Program file properties during install or do you just not chose the Program files as the destination?

Also, I have an SSL cert and a Code cert, but regardless, Access always starts out with "Untrusted / Enable Content" in one of those dreaded yellow ribbons. Anyway around this during install? --not for nothing, but all I see these yellow ribbons doing is diluting the user experience, the ribbon should be presented once (with the certificate) during the install, and then put to rest, no?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Windows 7 (or 8) won't let you execute an Access database file from the program files directory. You need to put it in another folder on the C drive (or elsewhere).

ions

Access User
Local time
I use SageKey Installation software and I do not have the above problems. I install into the Programs Folder on Windows 7 machines with SageKey.

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
Hmm. I wanted to use Sagekey but they are still testing the MSA 13 version. I went with InstallAware but have some issues with it. for one, the files get compressed when downloaded and when the decompress, it appears not to be functioning correctly. Also, I cannot find any place in InstallaWare except the C:\Program directory to download files to, but like I said, something is blocking it. Finally, and maybe all the issues are due to the location issue, the front end cannot lock the backend, and the app icon doesn't get installed on the desktop. That said, works like a charm. Actually, hoping to hear back from them soon on this, but if anyone uses InstallAware, and knows how to get around these issues, I could use some tips.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom