Out of memory (1 Viewer)

Acropolis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:51
Hi All,

Today i have had a random error start popping up after a short while of having the app open and doing some development work.

it will randomly pop an error box up say "Out of Memory", and i can't do anything else in Access, i have to close and re-open, but it always comes back up.

Was using the app this morning and it was running fine, have created 3 datasheet forms this afternoon, all very small to enter some data in a table, and a single form for them all to go on, no code as of yet.

Task manager saying between 110 and 150MB of memory been used.

I have tried compact and repair etc. The file is sitting at 129MB for the front end, back end is on a MySQL server. I have copied the file to another location, and compact and repair then reduce the size to 81MB but the problem persists.

I tried decompile but it hasn't helped.

Any ideas?

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Yesterday, 20:51
In Task Manager do you notice anything unusual when doing development work? Personally I'd open that up first and see if anything looks odd.

I haven't seen this with ACCESS but I've seen it in other development tools.

Acropolis

Registered User.
Local time
Nope, everything looks normal, system resources aren't maxing out, memory showing at 31-33%, CPU @ 9%

Just deleted and re-created the forms and it's not happened now, but i haven't got VB editor open, just about to try that and see if it causes it to crash.

Mark_

Local time
I'd expect task manager to seem fine when you DON'T get the crash. Looking for more of "Is some task going nuts when you do X" type situation.

Last time I found something I coded did this was because I messed up in a loop that added to a memory table. Reversed the end of the loop and the line that went to the next record in a record set. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Acropolis

Registered User.
Local time
This doesn't happen when I try and run code, it's coming up when I am designing a form or trying to write code.

I have nothing like that running, there is a hidden form running in the background, but all that does is mark user as logged out when it closes, nothing else, and there is a timer running on the landing form which refreshes the caption of 2 command buttons every 3 minutes with a very simple dcount - but they have both been there for years.

The forms re-created fine and no problem, but opened VB editor, and put some code behind one of the buttons and it stopped working.

Don't always get the error message come up, but get the sound and nothing works, can close Access but none of the functions work.

I don't think it's the code that causing the problem, but have a look and let me know if you spot anything in it that might cause the problem, note the problem happens before I can even open the form in form mode to test the code, is happens once it's in the editor.

Code:
Private Sub cmdRefresh_Click()

Me.sfrCost.Requery
Me.sfrExpenses.Requery
Me.sfrRevenue.Requery

End Sub

closed and re-opened and Ii've been able to put the code in now at least. Doing my head in now.

Mark_

Local time
I do not think its the code you are trying to write. I'm guessing that the program ACCESS is trying to do something in your database and is going nuts.

I'd keep task manager open, watch it while I'm working, and look to see if any part of ACCESS starts taking up a massive amount of memory when you use it. This could be temporary or it could be a corrupted database.

If ACCESS itself is messing up you may need to reinstall it. If it is something specific to your database you may have to create a new database and import all of your tables, queries, forms and reports. A corrupted procedure could be causing ACCESS to mess up. Keeping an eye in task manager will help identify where the problem occurs.

If it IS a run away process eating up memory it could be taking some time after you do X before ACCESS crashes. Identifying X and fixing it can be difficult if you don't have a clear way of seeing when things start going wonkey.

ByteMyzer

AWF VIP
Local time
@Acropolis,

You should not be doing any design changes to any objects in the database at the same time that you have database code running (ref. hidden and landing forms). Not only could this cause Out of Memory issues; you could end up corrupting the database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom