Isued & Returned Units inspected (1 Viewer)

LSTC018

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:56
Hi,
Hopefully I can explain my task that I have taken on:-

I have two Data bases A & B

A – gives details of work issued for inspection
B – records the returned results of the work issued

The main column heading are :-

DataBase – A (issued Details of work to be inspected)
1 Date issued
2 Inspectors name
3 Circuit ID
4 Unique unit ID’s within each Circuit

DataBase – B (Returned Details of work inspected)
1 Date issued
2 Date inspected
3 Inspectors name
4 Circuit ID
5 Unique unit ID’s within each Circuit

a. We have 15 inspectors
b. 500 + circuits
c. 80,000 + units
d. Units vary per circuit
e. All circuit have unique circuit numbers
f. Each unit has a unique unit number

The reports I would like (as a starter) are:-

1. Inspector name - Circuits issued - number of units Issued
2. Inspector name - Circuits returned - number of units Returned

I’ve never attempted a report and a total beginner with Access but keen to learn,

Cheers

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Can we clear up the terminology a bit here - Are these actually two separate Databases or really 2 Tables in one database?

If it's the latter it looks like it should only be one table, as it's all duplicated information, you know you issued it from the issue date, you know it's been inspected from the fact it has an inspection date?

I appreciate that English may not be your first language, and that the terminology can be confusing, so please don't take offence.

LSTC018

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

Thank you for your reply - we are talking 2 x tables. This set up has been in place for the past 6 - 7 yr. I can't change this.
Combining wouldn’t be a problem but the two separate tables would have to stay,

Cheers

LSTC018

Registered User.
Local time
[FONT=&quot]Hi Minty
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just read your reply and your comment ' you know it's been inspected from the fact it has an inspection date?' [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm looking for the possibility a single report can be produced showing all the inspectors names and the outstanding number of units to be inspected for each circuit ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This report will be done every day to track progress and identify the outstanding number of units to inspect by each inspector
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I hope this explains better,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cheers[/FONT]

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
The fact you have two tables is what will make creating the report quite awkward. This is exactly the same data and should be be a single table.

You report is then simply a totals query.

As it stands you'll have to join the two tables, and get clever with checking and counting nulls on one side, to get the totals, trust me it will be very much harder/complicated.
Not impossible.

Think about it - Add the Date Inspected to Table A, and default it to null. Simply fill the date out when it's inspected, and table B becomes completely redundant.

LSTC018

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Minty,

Thank you for your help, but its looking beyond my capability and complicated working with an established database and tables. My knowledge in Excel is a little better so I'll have a go with that - thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom