Students Database structure for high school help (1 Viewer)

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:43
Here is a draft model to consider.

Many thanks jdraw, worked. However, You have touched the point that if the student doesn't pass the level, then how to handle it ? in my school, it is allowed for each student to fail three times per level. Please extend your model with some ideas.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:43
In the model ExamSdtdCrsLvl, you could query the SdtExamMark and if the Mark is a FailingMarkCount of at any Lvl is more than 3, the Stdt is then disqualified.
I think this is a logic/calculation issue, not the model per se.

The logic involved would be along this:
Select FailingMarks and Group By Level and Student. You know the details of the Marking scheme. Try it and see with the model. You do not have to build the complete database to check this.

You can mock up a table, use some test data and see if you can use an algorithm to find Students who are now disqualified.

Good luck

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
In the model ExamSdtdCrsLvl, you could query the SdtExamMark and if the Mark is a FailingMarkCount of at any Lvl is more than 3, the Stdt is then disqualified.
I think this is a logic/calculation issue, not the model per se.

The logic involved would be along this:
Select FailingMarks and Group By Level and Student. You know the details of the Marking scheme. Try it and see with the model. You do not have to build the complete database to check this.

You can mock up a table, use some test data and see if you can use an algorithm to find Students who are now disqualified.

Good luck
Just a technical question, can I make the student register for the level first in separate junction table, then go to the StdCrseAtlvl. I tried to make many to many relation between Students and Levels and then link them (by their link table) to StdCrseAtlvl but I got error "No unique index in the reference field ". I need the database steps looks something like:
1- There is a CourseLevel table predefined (as in table LevRegCourse)
2- A students Register for the level first (as in the table I suggested)
3- A students get the courses specified by the level taken.

4- And got to the mark table

My aim is to facilitate the data entry form in a way that there is a main form with two sub-forms. The main form is for student information, then the first sub-form is for students level registration, finally, the second sub-form would for the course registration of the student at the level taken. Sorry for bothering you.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
2- A students Register for the level first (as in the table I suggested)
That is probably the normal Student, but could you get 1 or more students transferring to your area and they could start in Level3 and Level6 (a brother and sister move to your area??)

This is a model to test your business facts. Build some test data and try to stump the model. Work through various scenarios. You must get your tables set up to meet your requirements.

You know your details better than any reader. If you want a registration table or a separate Marks table --if that is part of your requirement, then create them and test the model against your facts. Adjust as necessary.

I'm not saying that the draft model I provided meets your requirements. I am saying this is my draft model based on what I gleaned from your posts.

Good luck.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For FailingStudent I mocked up a database.

Here is my sample data
Code:
StudentID	OtherStudentInfo	OtherLevelInfo	CourseID	StdtExamMark
1	       John	                         Level1	                    1	15
1	       John	                         Level1	                    2	20
1	       John	                         Level1	                    3	22
2	       Sam	                         Level1	                     1	40
2	       Sam	                         Level1	                     2	60
2	       Sam	                         Level1	                     3	67

Here is a query to Find and Group students who have Exam marks less than 50. I am showing the COUNT of exams with marks <50. You could have another query to identify only those with count 3.

Code:
SELECT Count(CountOfStdtFailExamMark) AS CountOfCountOfStdtFailExamMark
	,StudentID
	,OtherStudentInfo
	,OtherLevelInfo
FROM (
	SELECT ExamStdtCrseLvl.StdtExamMark AS CountOfStdtFailExamMark
		,ExamStdtCrseLvl.StudentID
		,Student.OtherStudentInfo
		,LEVEL.OtherLevelInfo
	FROM (
		Student INNER JOIN (
			StdtCrseAtLvl INNER JOIN [Level] ON StdtCrseAtLvl.LevelID = LEVEL.LevelID
			) ON Student.StudentID = StdtCrseAtLvl.StudentID
		)
	INNER JOIN ExamStdtCrseLvl ON (StdtCrseAtLvl.CourseID = ExamStdtCrseLvl.CourseID)
		AND (StdtCrseAtLvl.LevelID = ExamStdtCrseLvl.LevelID)
		AND (StdtCrseAtLvl.StudentID = ExamStdtCrseLvl.StudentID)
	WHERE (((ExamStdtCrseLvl.StdtExamMark) < 50))
	)
GROUP BY StudentID
	,OtherStudentInfo
	,OtherLevelInfo;

With my test data, I get the following.

Code:
CountOfStdtFailExamMark	StudentID	OtherStudentInfo	OtherLevelInfo
             3	                               1	John	                       Level1
             1	                               2	Sam	                       Level1

I'm sure there are issues with the model and the details, but this is just a mock up to see who Failed. More code may be needed since it must check for 3 Failed exams at 1 specific level. That is if your failure info allows someone to fail 2 times at each level and still be successful.

Last edited:

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
That is probably the normal Student, but could you get 1 or more students transferring to your area and they could start in Level3 and Level6 (a brother and sister move to your area??)
Good luck.
jdraw, Yes, more new students to come and start at any level, brothers and sisters involved in the school system too.

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
This is a model to test your business facts. Build some test data and try to stump the model. Work through various scenarios. You must get your tables set up to meet your requirements.
Good luck.

OK, the students data entry is look like the attached picture

I created a form based on the Students table which hold students ID, Name and another information. Then placed an unbound Combo Box with LevelID as row source. A sub-from is also build to show the corresponding courses for the level that user selects at the Combo Box. This worked perfectly by using the following code:

Code:
Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "INSERT INTO StudentCourseLevel(StudentID, LevelID,CourseID,Credit) " & _
             "SELECT " & StudentID & ", LevelID , CourseID, Credit" & _
             "FROM QueryCourseLevel " & _
             "WHERE LevelID = " & Me.cbolevelID.Value

CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFaiOnError

Me.StudentLevelCourseSubForm.Requery
What I want to do is alter the database structure so instead of using an unbound combo box, I may use another sub-form that indicates to Student-Level and the Academic year if possible. So, when a user register a level to the student, the corresponding courses shown in the second sub-form. I tried many scenarios with no avail. Actually, I'm a bit new to the idea of using multiple fields relationship, but your model helped a lot and made me understand what that idea stands for. Organizing the data entry forms is very important to me as the one that will use the application may be a country boy. Please provide me some ideas in how I can re structure the database to fit my requirements.

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
For FailingStudent I mocked up a database.

Here is my sample data
Code:
StudentID    OtherStudentInfo    OtherLevelInfo    CourseID    StdtExamMark
1           John                             Level1                        1    15
1           John                             Level1                        2    20
1           John                             Level1                        3    22
2           Sam                             Level1                         1    40
2           Sam                             Level1                         2    60
2           Sam                             Level1                         3    67
Here is a

Regarding the FailingStuden, your code works perfectly. Many Many Thanks

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Good stuff. But don't be too quick to build the database.
As one of my colleagues says:
Best is to draw an data model/ERD on paper/whiteboard, cardboard/etc first to design tables/relationships, then adding data to see if you the structures/relationships work ,THEN create the tables in Access. Saves a lot of typing time.....

Show us your revised model. Make a list of key business facts, then (on paper) see if your model supports those facts.

Last edited:

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
Good stuff. But don't be too quick to build the database.
As one of my colleagues says:

Show us your revised model. Make a list of key business facts, then (on paper) see if your model supports those facts.

Dear jdraw, I have revised the model and it works very nice to me. However, some issues in the progress appear. Let say,

I have a table StdCourseLevel with the following fields:
Code:
StudentID    LevelID   YearID    CourseID    Credit
and a subform StdLevelYearSub, having the fields
Code:
StudentID    LevelID   YearID
and also a table LevelCourse with the fields:
Code:
LevelID      CourseID       Credit
so when a user enter data (StudentID, LevelID, YearID) into the subform , these three values PLUS the two values (CourseID and Credit) from LevelCourse should be inserted into StdCourseLevel when

Code:
LevelCourse.[LevelID] = StdLevelYearSub.[LevelID]
. Any help is appreciated

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Please post your tables and relationships.

You mention subform, but not a form??
The tables and relationships represent the things involved in your business and how they inter-relate (business facts/rules).
Your forms are in fact the user interface to your application. Users, using forms, update, retrieve data from the underlying tables. Form are like windows through which users see/modify data that resides in your tables.

In some cases --this is typical but not specific to your application -- a user will select a value from a combobox; that selection may limit possible values in a second (cascading combobox) and the selection from that second combo may be used with other data selected on the form, or entered by the user to modify an underlying table. The modification may be a routine in vba using the various parameters to create or update
a record in the underlying table.

Do you have an updated version of your requirements? I see Credit and Year now.

Last edited:

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
Please post your tables and relationships.

You mention subform, but not a form??
The tables and relationships represent the things involved in your business and how they inter-relate (business facts/rules).
Your forms are in fact the user interface to your application. Users, using forms, update, retrieve data from the underlying tables. Form are like windows through wihich users dee/modify data that resides in your tables.

In some cases --this is typical but not specific to your application -- a user will select a value from a combobox; that selection may limit possible values in a second (cascading combobox) and the selection from that second combo may be used with other data selected on the form, or entered by the user to modify an underlying table. The modification may be a routine in vba using the various parameters to create or update
a record in the underlying table.

Do you have an updated version of your requirements? I see Credit and Year now.

Attached the revised model It looks very nice to me. Capture.JPG

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Again, I want to say that the model I presented was a draft built based on my interpretation of info in your posts.
You should work through your model with your requirements and some test data and scenarios. Make sure your model can handle your scenarios. Adjust as necessary, then build your database.

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
Again, I want to say that the model I presented was a draft built based on my interpretation of info in your posts.
You should work through your model with your requirements and some test data and scenarios. Make sure your model can handle your scenarios. Adjust as necessary, then build your database.
Again, it works very nice to me. Could you just help me how to achieve the job I wanted from my previous post ?

Last edited:

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
Oh! now I noticed that I can't insert into table StudentCourseLevel. I got a warning "you cannot add or change a record because a related records is required in table StudentCourseLevel ", What the wrong I'm doing? please help

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
"you cannot add or change a record because a related records is required in table StudentCourseLevel ", What the wrong I'm doing? please help

When you have tables that are in 1 to many relationship, such as a Parent and Child(ren);you must have a record in the Parent before you can add Child(ren) to that relationship.

For example, in your model (capture.jpg) you must have:
- a Student record
- a Course record
- a Level record
- a StudentLevelYear record
- a LevelYear record
before you can insert a record into table StudentCourseLevel.

Look at which field(s) are used in the relationship(s). This will show you which field is causing the problem in the table you're trying to update. For whatever value you are trying to enter into this field, the same value must first exist in the related field in table.

You have to test your model with sample data and some test scenarios. This is a critical step. It appears that you model does not represent/support your business rules. You could review the RogersAccessLibrary tutorials to make sure you are following the process to create and test the model.

Good luck.

Last edited:

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
When you have tables that are in 1 to many relationship, such as a Parent and Child(ren);you must have a record in the Parent before you can add Child(ren) to that relationship.

For example, in your model (capture.jpg) you must have:
- a Student record
- a Course record
- a Level record
- a StudentLevelYear record
- a LevelYear record
before you can insert a record into table StudentCourseLevel.

Look at which field(s) are used in the relationship(s). This will show you which field is causing the problem in the table you're trying to update. For whatever value you are trying to enter into this field, the same value must first exist in the related field in table.

You have to test your model with sample data and some test scenarios. This is a critical step. It appears that you model does not represent/support your business rules. You could review the RogersAccessLibrary tutorials to make sure you are following the process to create and test the model.

Good luck.

Now I can't get the relationships in the right way. Please see the photo attached. I am getting error "no unique index found for the referenced field of the primary key". That happened when I deleted the relationships between the "StudentCourseLevel" table and MarkTable and re-create it. Wonder why this error appeared!! it was just working. I didn't change any of the relationships elements.

Capture.JPG

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Have you tested your model with test data and scenarios --- on paper?
You have to design and test and adjust the model based on your requirements. Do not accept the model I provided as anything more than an attempt.

Look at some of the Student data models from DatabaseAnswers.org
https://www.google.com/search?q=dat...tudents&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab
http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/student_rosters/index.htm
http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/student_marking/index.htm

Can you show us your list of detailed requirements/business facts?

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time

I just want to make a student to register to the level in separate table added the academic year to that table, then register for the courses that belongs to level registered. So the user. So, the user will have the following data entry forms:

1- LevelCourse form with subform to assign the courses to each level. That is ok to me and I have no problem with.
2- Another form and two subforms. The main form would be for student information entry. The first subform based on the table StudentLevelYear (as in the captured picture) and having three fields

Code:
StudentID  LevelID    YearID
, this subform should be linked to the main form by StudentID. The LevelID and YearID fields are a combo boxes based on the LevelID LevelName and YearID YearName. I organized the combo boxes to show the names (level name and yearname) but store the LevelID and YearID in the StudentLevelYear table just to make my form readable for human. Now, the part that can't get ride of it is once the user assign levelID and YearID to the student in the first subfrom, then the corresponding courses should be inserted to the second subform which is based on the StudentLevelCourse table. The courses can be inserted when the levelID for the both sides met. Please help move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom