Subform -- Error "Object Doesn't Contain Automation object 'tblIndividual' (1 Viewer)

lford91

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:01
The error is:

The LinkMasterFields property setting has produced this error: 'The object doesn't contain the Automation object 'tblIndividual.' '

Then it also gives me the same one on another table.

I think it has something to do with the link master/child fields. I've tried all kinds of relationships with the three tables and can't figure it out.

I've tried uploading the database here but it won't. It's on my Sky Drive.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2D6C80442CA0DD73!109

I'd appreciate any kind of help. I needed to be done with this last week and instead I'm banging my head against a wall. I'm a novice and have a hard time with code.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:01
And what is the path to follow in order to find that error ?
What button(s) to press and what to fill in your database ?

lford91

Registered User.
Local time
I was testing it going from adding a person at the first tab and then moving to each subsequent tab. The error occurs when you get to the family address tab. It comes up as soon as you click on anything.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
I see your tables and relationships and...
Every table contain a primary key (I don't check but hope that all are autonumbers)
Good for you.
By the way, my practice is to name that fields like this:
tblFamilies (plural = more than one objects)
ID_Family (singular = only one object)
This approach allow me to quickly see the IDs in my tables.
Note please that I don't say that your approach is bad.

Unfortunately also I have (very) bad news for you:
Only and only and ONLY this fields (primary keys) should be used for linking the tables.
One example:
You have a table tblAddressType with the primary key ADDRTYPEID. Very good.
But you use the field ADDRTYPE to link with tblAddressFamily table (?!?!?!?)
And you have a lot of tables like this.

When the experts say "Every table should have a primary key" they have a single reason for this: to use this field(s) to link tables.

So, sorry. It is impossible for me to debug this.
Also, it is impossible for Access to understand your intentions.

One more (last) advice:
Yours field names are very hard to be read.
FAMADDRTONAME ????? What about FamAddrToName ?

lford91

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you Mihail. Your explanation made more sense than how I've heard that before. The person I learned from did all her table structures that way. Maybe that's why I have such a hard time and get so confused when trying to figure out how to get it to do what I want. I have it working for the most part right now (miracle of miracles) other than just a couple issues. (Fields in tables that get their values from lookup tables....yes, EVIL. I don't get why she taught me that you HAD to do it that way. Argh!) But I'll figure out to get it working and then perhaps go in and do it right and give them a replacement down the road. It's all volunteer work for a church and I've about gone crazy over trying to do it. Thanks for helping. It really is appreciated even though it's not good news. : )

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Hm. Lookup is EVIL. I have heard this and are good reasons for this.
Bu also I have good reasons to use that "damned" lookup wizard.
First because is easy to use and understand;
Second because Access will create for me the relationships.
Third because Access create for me the forms with all necessary queries behind the comboboxes attached to that lookup fields.

But I use a rule to ensure that I never have trouble:
When the wizard propose to me to hide the primary key, I do NOT allow this. So, by pressing NEXT, NEXT... the wizard will propose me as name for the new created field exactly the name for the primary key in the table where I wish to lookup.
After that, I return (Back Back ...) I allow the wizard to hide the primary key then I press finish.
Now I have a field that is named like ID_Family and, even I see the families names in this field, that ID_ tell me that NOT the families names are stored in that field, but their IDs.

Latter, after your skills will grown up, and your databases will become more complicated, you can return at table level and remove the lookups in ordin to eliminate the "EVIL".

One more note:
Open the relationships window, double click every relation and enforce the referential integrity. This will give you a very good idea about your data flows. Also will help you to find the cycles and work in order to eliminate them.

Hope you understand the ideas even if my English is not very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom